The Most Beautiful Chicken in the World.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pitbullmomma, May 24, 2017.

1. pitbullmomma

pitbullmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2017
    Down in the pines, NJ
    This is Big Bird. She is a 3 week old white (I think) Silkie pullet(I think) from mypetchicken.com.

She is, simply, The Most Beautiful Chicken in the World. At least, to me.

I never knew my heart could split wide open and a tiny yellow ball of fluff could bring me to tears. But she does. I am sentimental, silly, and apparently, a born-again Chicken Girl. Right now, she is nuzzling in my hair on my shoulder, making soft, content peeps. I don't care if she poops in my hair. She is a tiny miracle, and I love her with my whole weary, cynical soul. I never would think I would feel this way about a chicken. But she is special.

She almost died. She was very sick; I didn't think she was going to make it. But I babied her, hoped and wished, fed her sugar water, and did everything I possibly could. Got lots of advice from BYC and MPC. And she lived. And she loves me. I can tell.

My husband--who has had a pathologic bird phobia for about 50-some-odd years--holds this tiny bird in wonder. Kisses her, nuzzles her neck, and admits to me that yes, chickens actually smell good (in a non-food-type way). I have not seen him eat chicken in the past 3 weeks. :)

I love this tiny creature. I love all my chickens, but I love Big Bird the best. I was feeling ugly and judgey and hateful earlier. I was mad at the world and especially my husband. Now after snuggling my baby chick, I feel at peace, like I do after yoga, with a tear in my eye for the simple beauty of a tiny critter who only knows love, and wants to sleep in my hair.

It is a strange and wonderful thing, this newfangled chicken love that I have.

XO,

Cindi

Attached Files:

2. pitbullmomma

Apr 30, 2017
    Down in the pines, NJ
    She is pure love, this magical little fuzzball. Is she not wondrous?

XO

Attached Files:

SueT and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    :loveWow that silkie is so cute!

pitbullmomma likes this.
  4. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Not to diminish your pride in your little beauty any....but is there even such a thing as an ugly Silkie?

I so wish one of my birds had come out all white. Strawberry Shortcake almost did, but, well her name says it all.

pitbullmomma likes this.
  5. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    I have a pitbull mix and he is the nicest dog ever! He will let chickens ride on his back...

pitbullmomma likes this.
  6. pitbullmomma

Apr 30, 2017
    Down in the pines, NJ
    Thank you! I have 2 others, a partridge and a buff. But she is the sweetest, and the prettiest. They are fascinating little creatures, silkies. :)

7. pitbullmomma

Apr 30, 2017
    Down in the pines, NJ
    Picture?!

8. pitbullmomma

Apr 30, 2017
    Down in the pines, NJ
    Pits are the bomb! They removed the troll, apparently. :) My dogs are wild and undisciplined and I could never have them near my chooks, but I love seeing pics of dogs and chicks together! That is too cute that they ride on his back...

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a wonderful story!

pitbullmomma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by