The most creative way quail chicks tried to hurt themselves?

CptKirk

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
As I learned in my last two hatches, these tiny monsters cannot be trusted alone for more than about five seconds. Maybe not even that. But this time around, I thought okay, I've got it, they should be pretty safe. I thought I had taken out everything they could possibly hurt themselves on.

Haaaaa.....

Brand new little hatchlings in the brooder. Nothing but aspen shavings, a water dish with marbles in it, a nice big smooth rock they cannot possibly get under or tip over. The rock radiates more heat from the porcelain heat lamps, they love it and will snuggle it. Their food was on a paper towel, and I had left two flat sheets of kleenex in there for them to lay on, since they seem to prefer napping on that to napping on the shavings for the first day or so. Everything was fine, right?

One of them is a little bit of a spazz. High energy and a burrower, I wasn't surprised to glance over and see that he had folded a piece of kleenex over himself. No big deal, he was happy. I went to go do some stuff, and when I came back, he had rolled into a tight little burrito. I picked him up and he gave the saddest little meeeeeeep sound as I tried to unroll him, and then I discovered that apparently, his siblings are monsters, because they pooped three good poops in exactly the right place to seal him into that kleenex like an envelope.

It was hilarious and I feel a little bad for laughing at this poor baby quail, but also omg, why are they like this? ahahah man, I love them, but if they aren't figuring out ways to hurt themselves, they're apparently plotting how to literally seal each other's fate.

Needless to say, there's no more kleenex in there!

So! What are the most interesting, unique, or creative ways your quail babies have tried (or succeeded with) to off themselves? Funny as some of the stories may be, and sad as some probably will be, maybe the more we share, the safer all our tiny little flightless bumblebees will be?

I one time almost killed my 5 day old button quail while changing their bedding. I was using paper towels and figured I could change their bedding without taking all 20 tots out. I managed and when I was done I kept counting over and over realizing one was missing. I was terrified I threw him in the garbage bag, I looked through it quickly and he was not there. Looked under the fresh paper towel bedding and found him. He was okay. I am glad I counted because the teeny would have never found his way back.
Quails apparently try to kill themselves with paper towels/tissues apparently...

I one time almost killed my 5 day old button quail while changing their bedding. I was using paper towels and figured I could change their bedding without taking all 20 tots out. I managed and when I was done I kept counting over and over realizing one was missing. I was terrified I threw him in the garbage bag, I looked through it quickly and he was not there. Looked under the fresh paper towel bedding and found him. He was okay. I am glad I counted because the teeny would have never found his way back.
Quails apparently try to kill themselves with paper towels/tissues apparently...

They do! They can't be trusted with anything. Am so glad you found the precious little puffball! That must have been the most stressful few minutes ever oh my goodness

870999EF-22F4-4153-9868-4CB8561FB1DA.gif
69FE8C90-DEA8-4AC3-A6E9-ECC1AA28CEF8.gif

They do! They can't be trusted with anything. Am so glad you found the precious little puffball! That must have been the most stressful few minutes ever oh my goodness
I was freaking out, heart racing, palms sweating searching through the trash bag!!
When it finally dawned on me to look under the bedding I was so scared I smashed him or hurt him.. the little stinker was okay but really confused!! He was under two layers of paper towels!

Back
Top Bottom