The Mud...

Henry&Friends

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
West Virginia (mountain momma)
It rained for a couple of days this week. My chickens run, which consists of 80% dirt with light foliage in the very far corner. With the rain came the mud. My yard is sloped, and the run has turned to mud. If I step in the middle, I sink about a centimeter. But for like 2-3 feet around the door of my coop, the mud is a sinkhole. I step there, and I sink in a half foot. Out of the depths rises mud/poop/water. It’s terrible. Then, we were hit by a cold front. It even snowed for a minute— it was very nice. Now, the mud is frozen. If I move my coop a couple feet onto some grass (or even just facing the grass so I can open the door without getting bogged down) will it return to that state rather quickly? I was going to move the whole run when it gets warm, should I just move the whole thing now (or whenever the ground softens enough to put up the fence)?

Please slow down. You have a very basic issue of drainage. You need to take the time to watch where the water comes from and where it is trying to go, and then take steps to help it get to where it naturally wants to go.

It's not acceptable for the water to all end up in a low spot. Figure out where the low spots are and channel the water so it can get past them and on its way to where it wants to go. One thing about water you need to accept is that it has a mission. It won't be denied. You need to team up with it and get it to go where it's trying to go.

Dealing with runoff can involve digging drainage channels and installing gravel in places where it's too low for water to speed on its way. This involves considerable time and sweat. Money, too. Only after resolving this runoff issue should you try to find a permanent spot for your coop and run.

Half measures such as throwing down straw or sand will just paper over the problem without solving it. But it can help you cope with conditions until you get the drainage problem resolved.

A covered run will also help tremendously with the wetness. Nothing stinks worse than wet chicken poop. Wet messy conditions also harbor parasites and other toxic bacteria. Your location would help us understand your climate issues and we'd have better suggestions.

You need to take the time to watch where the water comes from and where it is trying to go, and then take steps to help it get to where it naturally wants to go.
....or where you want it to go, if at all possible...or at least to where the 'damage' it can do is reduced.

My runoff naturally wants to go right thru my chicken run, no other place for it to go easily, so I corralled it slightly off course to spare the only dry place for the chickens to shelter. It's not perfect and needs some regular maintenance, but their shelter stays dry.

Your location would help us understand your climate issues and we'd have better suggestions.
Yes, please.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-12_16-20-49.png

Back
Top Bottom