The mystery hen

chickypoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Colorado
When we got this little girl she was in a big tub of straight run chicks from a hatchery. She is about 17-19 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet. She is smaller than the golden sex link hens we have, is a good flyer and is kind of nervous, she doesn't like people. I think she is some kind of bantam but I have looked and looked and can't find anything! She doesn't really cluck either, she has a harsh cackle sound.
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Could it be a hamburgh? I dont know about them, but they are supposed to be flighty. They are not a bantam but they are a small type of chicken. Do not take my word as hard fact, it is just a guess.

Wow, I have no idea what she is, but she is cool looking!
love.gif

Jody

I don't know a lot about chickens but there are bantam variety hamburgs, my daughter has a silver spangled full sized hamburg hen.
Your little hen looks similar to the picture of a golden spangled hamburg bantam hen in the American Poultry Association's American Standards of Perfection book we have.

CAn you call up the hatchery and find out what kinds of chickens--small regular or bantam breeds that they hatch out? It might point you in the right direction....

Wait, you mean I have possibly stumped the powers that be on BYC???
barnie.gif

Well if it helps at all here are the only pictures I have of her as a chick. They aren't really good but who knows. Before she got the feathers in her body was dark grey and her head was bright gold, like in the picture.
DSC_0184-1.jpg

DSC_0182_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom