The Naga Cemani

That would probably work.

You may not need the Jersey Giant, depending on what size birds you are able to get from your other crosses.

There are several genes that control size in chickens, and different breeds may have a different combination of those genes. I read of someone once that crossed two bantam breeds and got standard-sized chickens!

I would try to pick the largest birds among your other crosses, and raise some Jersey Giants, and look to see whether the Giants are actually bigger than your crosses before making a final decision on whether to use them.
I want a bird with the enormous weight of the Black Jersey Giant so that is a Trait I'm adding in

I want a bird with the enormous weight of the Black Jersey Giant so that is a Trait I'm adding in
I would just weigh the Jersey Giants you get, and the birds you create from the earlier crosses, before making final decisions. Just because a bird is sold as a "Jersey Giant" does not mean it actually weighs more than your crossed birds up to that point.

I would just weigh the Jersey Giants you get, and the birds you create from the earlier crosses, before making final decisions. Just because a bird is sold as a "Jersey Giant" does not mean it actually weighs more than your crossed birds up to that point.
Totally agree. I've got a cockerel that is larger framed than a JG of the same age and he's only 16 weeks.

I'm looking at getting a Maria hall hen or two for it and looking specifically for large hens

Ideally the height range of the Indio and a BMI proportionally like the Jerseys.
Indio Gigantes are huge, but are light weights.

Jersey Giants are in between Heavy weights, & Light weights. Roosters 13lbs, & hens 10lbs.

My Malays, mainly the largest cockerel is already 7-8lbs at 14 weeks. But not sure how heavy a Jersey Giant would be around the same age.

Indio Gigantes are huge, but are light weights.

Jersey Giants are in between Heavy weights, & Light weights. Roosters 13lbs, & hens 10lbs.

My Malays, mainly the largest cockerel is already 7-8lbs at 14 weeks. But not sure how heavy a Jersey Giant would be around the same age.
Indio Gigantes are not bred to a book standard but typically Roosters end up at around 10 lbs when fully grown. Usually anything less is from bad selection

Is the Bantam gene in the silkie recessive or dominant?
Recessive. You can get LF, & Dwarfed offspring out of the same batch.
Screenshot_20210802-100733_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom