The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

x2! They are beautiful!

2. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Chickens are like little kids! I read somewhere that someone put a light in their coop so that the chickens were not afraid to go in at night!!! And once they got the hang of it they stopped .... I remember weaning the chicks off of the brooder light and they would scream at night settling down in the beginning... That is why I love the idea of the ecoglow as all they ever know is dark arriving at night! I found when I had new chicks the young boys would keep the youngsters out much later then the older hens!! Once I got rid of my boys ... the young girls would follow the older ones to bed at a more civilized hour :)

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Same here with the ecoglows. They just don't get warm enough to use out in the hen house unless it's pretty warm out :(

I've been searching for a long time for a "no light" heat solution for brooding in unheated housing. Have looked at lots of ideas but so far haven't found a good one.

Except for a broody hen!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    I am so glad you asked this question... I had a feeling they hunted at all times of day if there was food... but know they are predominantly nocturnal. I hear the Whooo Whooing all the time and I have found an Owl Pellet(?) right next to my run.... I thought it was coyote scat at first but then as I inspected it there were all kinds of rodent bones in there!! It was actually pretty cool..... Last night I heard flapping followed branches moving around dusk and I was sure I would get a glimpse of these owls but no luck!
    I hear a lot of their calls in the early morning..... I figure they are discussing if they should wait and see if the chickens get to play in the yard today .....

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Camille has a no light heat lamp.

I am using ecoglows now. The chicks LOVE it. But they can't be used bellow 50F. I will be heating the brooder room so it's not an issue for me, but it would be for most who wanted to raise chicks outside in spring or fall (or even winter!)

6. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    I wonder about those ceramic??? "lamps" that they use at my acupuncture. They get really hot but I am not sure how safe they are as far as being a fire hazard....

7. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    Kassaundra congrats on the new chicks. I love the momma feather dusters :)

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

9. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Oh thats a bummer! Now that you mention it ... On cold days even with the ceramic lamp on I would get cold during acupuncture! And yes that ceramic gets BLAZING HOT!!!

10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    yes

I have both. Even when a hen submits chicken mating is anything but gentle. The neck is tugged on roughly either way. Spurs still dig in either way. One could argue a "dancer" may cause a hen a LITTLE less discomfort, but ..... negligable imho.

I personally find the dance hilarious

Sue your persistance has paid off. I'll stick around when time permits

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by