The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012
    That would be nice, they've been here for awhile though, so far I think our dog is keeping them away. She wants to be the only one to eat the chickens, we have her on a runner leash to keep her away too. [​IMG]
    ..and thank you, that other pic of the two owls is awesome! I love owls too!

2. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop

No unfortunately I couldn't. I might try again later this evening since the rain has me inside for the night lol

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The wyandottes in my area come from one source and they are not a thrifty line. As for the buff orp, I just found they ate way too much and laid too little to keep around. If I was passionate about the breed itself, and felt like it would be the focus of my breeding there is nothing wrong with them.. just not for me. :)

4. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    I love Owls. I have them here and I do not encourage them to stay. I do not encourage them to leave either. They do not like change, I am outside often, they eat the neighbors chickens and leave mine alone.

5. aoxa

Del, your silkie is not a partridge. Looks more like a project colour to me. He's cute though, but definitely a he! I think you're right on the Ameraucanas. :)

6. aoxa

That is one beautiful photo!!

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    My hatch completed today!!!! 30 eggs went in the bator, 28 made it to lockdown, 26 hatched, I think I will loose one maybe two of the new hatchlings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These were the first of the hatch so the driest and strongest for pics.

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    ROOSTER SURVEY
    [​IMG]

-Do your roosters "dance" for the girls and wait for the girls to accept their advances? OR Do they just grab and attack against their will?

-If they dance, at what age did they begin that behavior?

HU has said that he tries not to keep roosters that don't dance and court the ladies. (He touches a little on that here, but not as in-depth as the book) He states that the dancers don't injure the hens like the non-dancers do.

Now I don't have experience with this but what he's saying makes good sense to me and my intention is to select for dancers and remove those that don't when I have the choice. Please tell me YOUR experience with this.

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Wonderful, Kassaundra!

10. aoxa

My favourite boys are the ones that try to court the girls. They definitely ARE more gentle with them, and I prefer that type of rooster.

Almost all of my boys were a grab and force in the beginning. I did have a few that danced early - 4-5 months old. Jagger, Steve and Carl Jr. all danced from an early age. None of the others did until they were a bit older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by