The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Ive been using a ceramic head emitter for my chickens and its been working great. Pretty soon the emitter will be coming off completely. Their growing like weeds :)
  3. mlowen

mlowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Me, too! It took a while to figure out what thoses white "sticks" were...and then the light dawned: feather dusters! Mama!

And hooray, Stonykill. Glad to see you. Any time you have to spare for us is deeply appreciated.
  4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks, they really love it, my soft hearted animal loving husband wanted the chicks to feel more secure and natural. They love it, some of the quietest chicks we've had in the house.
  5. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    All about 8 months old.
    16 Black Copper Marans
    2 easter eggers

3 Black Copper Marans

Future culls (not included above) These are not allowed around my main flock.
    2 BCMs cockerals
    2 EE cockerels

Getting next month
    between 6 to 10 Heritage breed Rhode Island reds all pullets.
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Now that's adorable. Your babies are just so beautiful and have a mama!
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You keep a warm house! :)

I usually take my chicks off of heat at 3 weeks in the basement, four at the latest. It's pretty chilly down there, but it's all I have to work with right now.

By the way Camille, your first little call duck has just hatched. 3 days early.

8. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011

Hey Brian and welcome to the thread!! I am an LA chicken owner and belong to the great local LA Urban Chicken Enthusiast meetup group. One of the organizers lives in long beach and is extremely helpful. I'm on my phone so can't post the link but a goggle search will land you there!!

As far as breeds go I have a mixed flock and the get along fine. I have ameraucanas, orpingtons, silkies, bantam Cochin, sizzle , Marans & a GLW.

I know some people seem to have something against GLWs but I love mine!! She is really smart/ curious, friendly & a good layer and amazing eye candy!!. It all depends why you are getting chickens .... People who are looking for a high feed to egg conversion don't like orpingtons or wyandottes as they think they are pigs and don't lay enough eggs in return for what they eat. The one thing i will mention about my GLW is that she is a loud layer!!! Loves to sing her egg song... Oh and sge went broody last year and hatched a clutch and was a fantastic mom!!! I have my eye on a BLW some day.... I also like my orpingtons.... They are very friendly and yes they do come running as fast as they can when the treats come out but I would too :-0

Are your girls going to be confined to a run all day or will they be able to roam around the yard???

Dare to dream farms in Lompoc has a variety of chicks for sale & they deliver to LA for $20. Good luck with your chicks and keep us posted!
  9. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I got my buckeyes from a BYC member (minniechickmama, if you've ever seen her around) who lives near me. They're alright. They're known for being super friendly and mellow, and they are, but that really doesn't do "it" for me. I like chickens with interesting personalities and color patterns. The solid brown of Buckeyes is kind of boring to me. BUT I can now attest that they are tasty... or at least that they taste better than Barred Rocks and Gold Stars:) I had narrowed my desired breeds down by cold hardiness, rate of lay, and meat taste (breeds know for being tasty, most were the typical meat bird of a particular region before the advent of the cornish cross broiler). It came down to Faverolles, Buckeyes, and Speckled Sussex. I couldn't find any Speckled Sussex ANYWHERE, and the faverolles I got completely by chance (and they're hatchery stock, so we'll see how they go...). And I've always loved EE's- some of my first chickens were hatchery EE's, and I love everything about them. If I had to have only one breed, they would be it.
  10. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm not one to scour the earth for a particular breed, but if I ever came across someone near me who bred them I would be ALL OVER both the Swedish and the Icelandic chickens. They are totally beautiful, and as I mentioned I love crazy colored birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by