The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    [​IMG]

2. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't really know, to be honest. Sometimes it's just a gut thing. They're less adventurous than the EE's, but not as responsive to the rooster's warnings (although moreso than the Gold Stars). They laid well. But I don't know. It's weird because they were one of the breeds I was most excited to get, but my least favorites. I just can't quantify why. Perhaps my experience would have been better with BRs from a breeder. I know mine weren't perfectly healthy- one died in the nest box last summer, with the only previous symptom being a pale comb a few days before. BUT I don't love the hatchery they came from (Hoovers in IA). I've had good chicks from them, but I've also had disastrous batches of chicks from them.

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    same here. They are fine at 3 weeks old without heat.

4. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Stony - good to see you here!

Congrats on a good hatch and for getting such cute chicks! Love the feather dusters!

I use the ceramic, but only in heat-controlled settings. I love them and have had great luck with them. Only issue I have had was that my now 11-week-old chicks somehow managed to knock off the wire cover I had over one that was in the coop (I don't generally put heat in the wood coop, but had to when the temps dropped way down a number of weeks ago). A few of the birds apparently fell asleep in contact with the element and burned some feathers off... one pretty badly. All are growing their feathers back just fine now.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hatched out 3 cockerels out of 5 salmon faverolles eggs this spring. I'm way down in southern Ohio next to West Virginia and Kentucky, so way too far to give you a rooster. Be careful introducing a faverolles cockerel since you have another rooster--my fairly mild-mannered blue wheaten ameraucana tried to kill my faverolles guy when I brought him in at 5 months, even when I slowly introduced them. My boys have to be in separate coops since my faverolles won't fight back.

6. midnightroo

midnightroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Maryland
    Wonderful pictures tonight.

We have three EE's two pullets and one cockerel, two GLW and two BR. The GLW and BR are both about 5 wks. The GLW have been foraging while the BR's are snuggling with my daughter.

The cockerel does do the wing dance. He started with a leg shake in the fall or winter and slowly progressed to the wing dance. I am not so sure how good it is, I haven't seen another rooster do a wing dance. He doesn't wait for an invite necessarily, but doesn't mate if they turn on them and don't seem receptive to him, especially my brown EE. So far even with two hens he hasn't caused any damage to the girls and they have been together all along.

I have been allowing the " bigs" and " littles" together for short periods of time and everyone gets along. The cockerel doesn't harm them and even sounds the alarm when overhead birds are seen.

7. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    One BCMs Roo has greenish legs. One BCMs Roo is way way to mossy. The other 2 are EEs and I don't let anything but BCMs Roos run with the girls. Some of the people around me would like to get some BCMs and I told them I would Give them My darkest eggs threw the year. I do not do breeding pens. I want the BCMS to be pure and not some kind of mutt. Even though I am giving the eggs away I don't want people saying those are not BCMs. I am not breeding for show but would like to be somewhere around the SOP and get dark eggs.
    That is also why when I get the HRIR there will be no Roos. I am not breeding HRIR just BCMS and I will be able to tell there eggs by color.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My flock

Layers:
    2 Production Reds
    2 Buff Orps
    1 Barred Rock
    1 EE
    1 GSL
    1 SplashLR Wyandotte Bantam cockerel
    1 Blue Orp/PRed mix
    2 BCM chicks(one cockerel, one pullet)
    1 OE chick
    1 SFH chick

Silkies:
    1 MB Blue cockerel
    1 MB Porcelain F1 pullet
    1 Catdance Porcelain cockerel(Special needs)
    1 Jen Vidmar Blue (10 week)
    2 Blue 10 week (Florida Breeder)
    1 Black Catdance chick
    1 Light Blue Catdance chick

Meat Group:
    5 Cornish X's (5 weeks)

9. jlynnet

jlynnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    My flock consists of
    2yr old BR, Isa browns, EEs, New Hampshire
    1yr old black sex links, EE

Under 2 months old
    2 leghorns
    3EE
    UK White orpingtons
    Jubilee orpingtons
    Partridge orpingtons
    SFHs, some starting to crest
    Partridge Barthuhners
    Augsburgers

We are in the process of building breeding pens, but the continuous rain is slowing us down.

BCM eggs incubating too. Yep I have a problem! I need chickens anonymous!

Oops! Forgot I have 1 RIR.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 49 adult chickens, 11 juveniles, and 19 chicks. Hopefully i can remember them:

9 wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas hens, 1 rooster
    3 lavender and 1 split (black) ameraucana hens
    2 salmon faverolles hens, 1 rooster
    1 partridge rock hen
    1 barred rock hen
    2 New Hampshire hens
    2 buff orp hens
    1 silkie
    1 mille fleur hen and 1 rooster
    2 polish hens
    4 black australorp hens
    2 BC marans hens