The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Hi I'm new here and to chickens. I tried to search for this answer, but could not find anything - way too much to read post by post. So I apologize if this is redundant.

I am wanting to protect our garden plants from the always nibbling beeks that cruise our yard. Does anyone have any effective methods for preventing plants from being eaten by our chicks that does not involve a fence? I was considering spraying a bitter or spicy liquid on the plants, but not sure if this would be safe or effective.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Alec

Hi I'm new here and to chickens. I tried to search for this answer, but could not find anything - way too much to read post by post. So I apologize if this is redundant.

I am wanting to protect our garden plants from the always nibbling beeks that cruise our yard. Does anyone have any effective methods for preventing plants from being eaten by our chicks that does not involve a fence? I was considering spraying a bitter or spicy liquid on the plants, but not sure if this would be safe or effective.
Thoughts? Thanks in advance Alec
I think they may call that salad dressing.. <grin>

to help us understand your situation... how many chickens do you have and what is the yard and garden.. or.. where you want them to go and where you don't.. ?

I'm hope you'll get some suggestions.. here I'll be looking too
and I did a search .. for threads you may want to look thru too..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=gardening+with+chickens

i plan on using chicken wire & bamboo and planting extra..

Last edited:
Hi everyone
frow.gif

Thanks BDM for this great thread. I'm learning so much. Trying to very quickly catch up, but I'm only on page 85 so far.

Just wanted to jump in here and ask a quick question please...

I have an abundance of dung beetles in the chicken coop. Is this a serious problem? And if so, what can I do about them naturally?

I'm making wood ashes as I type this. Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks (apologies is this topic has already been covered in this thread. I'm reading as fast as I can).

Welcome Thailand!

I'm sorry, I have no idea about the dung beetles !

Mumsy, your gardens remind me of tasha tudor's - so beautiful, whimsical, and definitely well maintained. Love the roses in the arc, and sweet pics of your hens on a bench.

Yesterday worked on the coop remodel - I am feeling every year this morning. But it is exciting - soooo much more space. I still have to empty some stuff, dry vac the accumulated years of dust and mouse droppings, white wash everything, fix a roost, screening and hardware cloth for the windows, and then....chicks! Pics coming when there is something to appreciate.

Hi Thailand, where are you? I have only heard of dung beetles in africa. When I did a quick search it said some birds ate them, have you noticed your chickens eating them? Do you use DL? Perhaps your bedding needs a good turning if so.

Mumsy, your garden is what I aspire to! Beautiful garden and chickens.

Roo got a stay of execution, we were too tired last night. Though I have to say, he seemed like he was truly scared of me when I was near him. Perhaps my chasing him for five minutes trying to catch him in a bucket did it.

Time to go look and feel some lovely yarn at a sheep and wool festival today. I don't knit much, but I love to buy beautiful yarn.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi everyone
frow.gif

Thanks BDM for this great thread. I'm learning so much. Trying to very quickly catch up, but I'm only on page 85 so far.

Just wanted to jump in here and ask a quick question please...

I have an abundance of dung beetles in the chicken coop. Is this a serious problem? And if so, what can I do about them naturally?

I'm making wood ashes as I type this. Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks (apologies is this topic has already been covered in this thread. I'm reading as fast as I can).

Welcome! As I recall from one or another National Geographic special, dung beetles play their part in the ecosystem by consuming dung, in your case I guess that would be chicken poop. I am surprised the chickens haven't eaten them, do they eat any of them or just leave them alone? In order to get them out of the coop, I would think a complete cleaning is in order, then either whitewash or dust with DE before adding new bedding.

14 of the clean (7 pairs...clean) and 1 pair of unclean (so 2 of unclean...1 male & 1 female)
Now I am the Nerd! But that is a teacher of Bible for you.
The Hebrew states that of every clean beast Noah is to "take shiv'ah shiv'ah, the male and his female..."
Literally translated, shiv'ah is "seven" which makes Gen 7:2 read "take seven seven, the male and his female" often interpreted to mean "seven pairs".
However, in Hebrew seven has another meaning: it is the number of perfection and is used synonymously with the word "oath" since in swearing something, it is said seven times. As you are a Bible teacher (and this is a chicken forum, not a Bible nerd forum) I will not give the numerous examples of seven within the Old Testament.
If this interpretation is used, "take shiv'ah shivah, the male and his female..." can be read as "take a perfect seven" or "a full seven" or something along these lines.
Thus, 3 pairs (the six clean animals to be put to work) and number shiv'ah for the sacrifice.

And to keep things all good and chicken-y... Gen 7:3 Of the fowls also take shiv'ah shiv'ah ...and you just know that after floating around in the boat with that mean stupid rooster, Noah was good and ready to barbeque him.
big_smile.png

Now I am the Nerd.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Alec
If you have a small space, the answer would be to plant things that chickens instinctively know are poisonous. Chickens can smell a plant and not touch it. A nibble won't hurt the plant or the chicken. Grazing will however. Interestingly, these plants are also unpalatable to deer and rabbits . The problem with relying on this method is in the nature of chickens. They will tramp down small seedlings, wallow in the soft dirt and generally wreck the garden whether the eat anything or not. I don't know where you live but rain fall would wash off any type of spray. Chickens don't taste like we do. But they do have a keen sense of smell. Planting copious amounts of garlic plants between ornamental helps. They do not like the green tops of garlic in my experience. They don't like perennials such as Columbine, Feverfew, Iris, Valerian, and Day lilies in my garden. Blue bells have naturalized on my property. They don't touch those. Neither do the deer or rabbits. When I discover a plant that the animals don't like, I plant lots more of it. Some shrubs the chickens like, such as leaves of Roses but they will out grow a chickens reach eventually. Another way to keep plants safe from chicks is elevate them into pots. Large chickens will jump up into the pot but chicks normally won't.....Unless they are heritage RIR like mine.
Free Ranged chickens do not obey boundaries. If I want to grow food for the family, I must fence to keep everything else out. They get access in late fall and winter.

Back
Top Bottom