The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I use pumpkins to ferment my feed in... I got about 30 last year and would use them as "buckets". Cut 3 open, use to ferment in until they get too mushy to use again, then toss the whole thing in the run. Then, cut another one open and rotate. They lasted until January, then started freezing solid, becoming dangerous frozen balls of fermented feed lol. Worked great and they loved them! Excited to raid the patch again this year :)

Here's some pics :D

Awesome ideas thank you now all I need is for the little buggers to hatch 18 in lockdown day 20... Sit and wait... This is my new flock since I relocated from WI to NY I'm too excited.

we did some little round squash for them this year as they really liked that, but gave it to em whole and that really seemed to keep the pecking down as they were to busy trying to get into the middle where the seeds they wanted were, never thought of using em to put their feed in will try that one next year

Thanks for the idea will plant some pumpkin too next year

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what to do when one newly hatched Silkies egg shell gets stuck to another unhatched egg. I can't get it off without damaging the unhatched egg

I assume that the egg in question is due to hatch soon. The answer depends on how much egg shell is stuck on the egg, and where it is stuck. If it's a fragment on the lower portion of the egg, not near the pip zone, no problem. If it's a half shell, and it's stuck in the potential pip zone of that egg, you have a problem on your hands. In that case, I'd be tempted to try soaking the shell off with a damp wash cloth, maybe use a sharp knife to help chip the shell off.

I've kept pumpkin in the freezer for them before. For some reason my birds weren't interested in pumpkin at all.

I do know others that have birds that seem to love it!

@armorfirelady has used pumpkin in the past.... Do you still give it now? Do your birds like it?
I do !! In fact I just gave mine & my neighbors hens one each yesterday. My girls will pick at them and the seeds. I am curious to see how my neighbors new hens like them :)

I grow my own but I get some from my son's store as well. I line them up around the edges of the garden for the winter and cut one up as they eat the other up. In the spring they get rototilled in & new plants start growing starting the process over :)

This year I had almost 2 1/2 dozen pumpkins from seeds self planted :) I actually had to pull a couple dozen plants because they were hampering the growth of my other plants !!

This year I had some humoungous pumpkins, so big I can barely pick them up. They didn't ripen before the freeze, though - but I've stashed them all in the run.

Smaller pumpkins, I let them peck at and when they have created a bowl, I put their feed in them. Helps to let the smaller and more docile hens get a chance to eat earlier instead of waiting for the bossy ones to finish.

Getting daily visits from a fox, she stays in the meadow area hunting moles and voles. so far , anyway. Flock isn't out unless I'm supervising.

Back
Top Bottom