The Neighbor's Dog killed my chickens!

jtyrrell08

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
First of all, I would like to say all our chickens are locked up in cages/ fences when we aren't home. This morning my husband woke to find all our 3 month old chicks in the yard, 6 were alive but 3 were missing. He saw blood and feathers everywhere and it was pretty obvious what happened.

We knew the culprit was the neighbor's dog, he likes to chase us in our own yard and has bothered the chickens before.

So, I came home from work this afternoon to find 5 of our six month old boys dead, inside their cage. 1 of the boys was lucky enough to make it out and was hiding under the bushes. Their cage is really a chicken tractor. The tractor is made of an old truck topper on wheels with chicken wire all around. The windows were shut and they were safe. . until the dog dug under the fence.

Our dilemma is that our neighbors don't actually live at their house. They use it to hoard stuff (and dogs). They have been arrested for cruelty of animals, paid all the fines, ect.

We know they won't have the money to pay us back; would it be worth it to go to small claims court?

The sheriff's office took a statement from me and the dog warden said they would be here tomorrow, but they don't ever do anything. .

I feel like I can't get help from anyone!

P.S. The dog killed 2 of our chickens last year. And yes, we've tried to shoot it, it's gun shy and we can't get close enough.

We had a similar problem...irresponsible neighbors - dog just being a dog. Doesn't make this any less problematic b/c in the end, their dog is no longer a "pet" when it's on your property killing your chickens.

We keep a loaded gun near the back door and have hot wire up around the outside...2 strands strategically placed.

That said...I've got a good friend with a neighbor similar to yours in that he collects dogs. My friend makes his living off his birds. He holds to the 3S policy: shoot, shovel, and shut up.

ETA - if the dog is shy, humane traps likely won't work but may be an option. trap em and then 3S or call animal control to come p/u. Don't know where you are, ordinances differ, but my recent luck w/animal control hasn't been fruitful. :-/

Last edited:
Neighbors don't live there, dog is killing your birds: SSS. If you don't own a gun or can't or won't shoot it, find someone who will. Or, try to catch it in a live trap, take it to the pound.

I have 4 birds... my first 4 ever. I fell in love with them; named them, etc. I found 3 dogs in my yard yesterday, attacking my coop and my baby girls( 3 months old). I managed to catch one of the dogs, and it had no ID. So I called animal control. As the officer reviewed my situation, a guy rode by on his bicycle and claimed the dog. He explained that he is homeless, so I asked the officer to take it easy on his fines, etc. She did; he promised to lock his dogs up. She wasn't gone 30 minutes before his dogs were back in my yard, annihilating my girls' home. I called animal control again, who told me that they could come today and deal with the situation, and that if I had to "deal with it myself", I am within my rights. So I went out this morning to feed, and all of my girls were dead... Scattered about my yard. I called animal control and the police, and was assured that someone would be right out. As I waited 4 1/2 hours for someone to be " right out " the dogs came into my yard and drug two of the carcasses away. My wife and I bagged up the other two, and two of the dogs returned, destroying the bag, and spreading its contents around the garden. SO... I shot the dog that had my favorite bird in its mouth... and the police came... and now I am facing criminal charges. For shooting a dog in the city limits. The dog owner>>> he got a fine.

chicken luvvr wrote: SO... I shot the dog that had my favorite bird in its mouth... and the police came... and now I am facing criminal charges. For shooting a dog in the city limits. The dog owner>>> he got a fine.

Often, in the heat of the moment, one might have forgotten to inform the officer that the dog appeared to be threatening you. Chickens don't count for squat (get copies of all the paperwork from police and animal control - including log of when you called and how long it took for them to show up, etc.), but dogs that threaten humans? Pretty much free to protect oneself, as one sees fit, in just about every State/Jurisdiction.

A loose dog is road kill waiting to happen (just an FYI).

Good luck!

And: :welcome

I think that you got busted for firing a gun in the city limits. So, even if you were defending yourself, you would still be facing the courts. It's legal in every state that I have ever researched (which is most of them) to shoot a dog that is attacking livestock. BUT you also have to be aware of any firearms laws in your area. In the city limits, it's generally illegal to shoot a gun because of the close proximity of other people/homes.

Sorry to hear about your birds

I would get rid of the dogs.

As for shooting in city limits would you face a fine if you hit the dog with a bat or some other tool? I was kicking the dog attacking my dog(in my yard),and would be pretty mad if I was charged. I guess you are only safe(somewhat) if you have bite marks proving the dog attacked you. I am moving where I can shoot what needs to be shot.

I have 4 birds... my first 4 ever. I fell in love with them; named them, etc. I found 3 dogs in my yard yesterday, attacking my coop and my baby girls( 3 months old). I managed to catch one of the dogs, and it had no ID. So I called animal control. As the officer reviewed my situation, a guy rode by on his bicycle and claimed the dog. He explained that he is homeless, so I asked the officer to take it easy on his fines, etc. She did; he promised to lock his dogs up. She wasn't gone 30 minutes before his dogs were back in my yard, annihilating my girls' home. I called animal control again, who told me that they could come today and deal with the situation, and that if I had to "deal with it myself", I am within my rights. So I went out this morning to feed, and all of my girls were dead... Scattered about my yard. I called animal control and the police, and was assured that someone would be right out. As I waited 4 1/2 hours for someone to be " right out " the dogs came into my yard and drug two of the carcasses away. My wife and I bagged up the other two, and two of the dogs returned, destroying the bag, and spreading its contents around the garden. SO... I shot the dog that had my favorite bird in its mouth... and the police came... and now I am facing criminal charges. For shooting a dog in the city limits. The dog owner>>> he got a fine.
Hmm, that should've been your first red flag. If the guy is "homeless", where is he going to lock up his dogs??? Glad I live in the country, it's a given here that if your dog kills livestock, it will be shot...period.

Back
Top Bottom