The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by Phage, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Jeniferl29

Jeniferl29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    Not at all. You know how I feel about it. If I can pay a little extra and get something I can rely on, I will definitely go that rout. That is not to say, if I found those eggs on eBay for $10 I wouldn't give them a shot.what the heck? It might be worth my $10. I did find out a few minutes ago that the girl on eBay is on here. Lol. She has not been active on this site since April but I will keep an eye out. I am so new I want to get to know folks on here. Knowledge is power and this is a type of chicken I have never even seen in real life. The more people I know who raises them and can help me understand the breed the better. I am not out to make a buck. I would love to have some to try to explore the breed and keep as pets. I love silkies and ameracaunas. I know this is nor a cross but a mutation in the feathers of Ameracaunas. I have both and I think this would be the ultimate pet. :) you are fortunate to have some in your flock and I look forward to adding some to mine.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. DeannaA

DeannaA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    People raise chickens for different reasons. Some enjoy it and don't need money, some need to make enough to continue raising their chickens. For some it's just a hobby. The few people I have found around where I live, might charge as little as $2 a dozen for a pure breed eggs that would cost $50 on here. ($35+15 shipping) There is a woman that sold me show Silkie eggs for $20 a dozen and gave me the next batch because her incubator was full and didn't want to waste them. I am going to give her all of the information she needs on them to help her with her breeding.

Sometimes quality is poor but sometimes people like to share their beautiful chickens. I have to admit, I will be one of the ones selling cheap or giving away but I don't think anyone could pay me enough to ship to a stranger. Too much hassel. But I wouldn't mind sharing with someone that loved my chickens. There are a few greedy people. But they are not very smart. I can't imagine anyone gets rich with chickens. Every once in awhile I will see someone post Easter Eggers eggs $75 a dozen on Ebay. Who would pay that?

3. Jeniferl29

Jeniferl29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    I would be person number two. I am not rich. I am a stay at home mom of 3 little boys one of which is only 3 years old. Raising chickens is my only hobby. My husband works overtime every week to provide for us and give me a little extra to continue my hobby. I give away to my family and neighbors 5 dozen eggs a week at least and we eat the chickens I can't sell. I am very blessed to have such a supportive family. The boys help me feed, water, and collect eggs. They love watching the chicks hatch and they love to hold the flashlight and candle eggs. They have seen me hold a wet newly hatched chick and they have seen me cull out a rooster. They know where their food comes from. My husband doesn't want anything to do with dressing out the chickens. He is squimish bless him but he gives me free rein on my decisions. I have made some good ones and some really bad ones but he is always there with me. I just want to be able to keep and feed our flock. We feed about 300 pounds of feed a week. So, if I could sell a few chicks to help out that would be awesome but I think if I had silkied AMs, they:lol: would be all mine and I would have a had time sharing eggs or chicks...lol

4. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    I agree, I have literally as have several folks I know, given a way eggs or birds based solely on the fact that someone wanted them so badly or who would REALLY try to help the birds...these fluffies as I call them are just near and dear to my heart regardless how I come off.... I have a glorious hobby I love, I would eventually like to show,but for bio- security reasons am not sure I trust myself to do so. I also need to make money some so I can continue due to horrid health...I may never make it to the show ring but having birds that I could show and are great quality ( for their health and breed also) makes me happy. In the end that is what it is all about,what makes you happy. One day I sell eggs....the next day I give five doz to the people down the road... Go figure...lol I wou ld rather do that than let them go bad. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    The eggs I sent you that were OE were Splash Marans (not silkied, not split to silkied) x Blue Silkied Ameraucana roo. Those were the only eggs from that cross & I didn't keep/hatch any. The only OE I have is smooth split to silkied hen, she is a cross of a Splash Silkied Ameraucana x Welsummer. I have 1 silkied OE pullet that is a result of this hen x a blue Silkied Am roo. She is not laying yet.

6. chick-among-us

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas

Ok welp regardless of all that the girls are beautiful and have huge full muffs, beards and " look" very ameraucana. Except for feathered feet which ( to me) is a bonus. I knew there was maran in there wasn't sure which side,I only knew one side was silkied.. They may not be an actual improvement in the silkied am breed ...but will certainly still add vigor into the resulting chicks and the parents look so nice i can reasonably hope the babies are lovely as well. Honestly they are just gorgeous I guess i didn't think about the fact your pretty am Non- silkied birds were not involved...cause there sure isn't a thing other than shanks and egg color that says maran to me. I'm super happy with them. Other people like Em too! Thanks:)) can't wait to hatch some for us! Deb won't let me till spring...ugh.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Anyone can and should charge whatever they want. If you are too high, they won't sell. Price low and get flooded with orders you can't handle. Supply & demand goes up and down. Prices can and do move with that. Maybe if there is going to be a big fuss over it, those interested in the debate can take it private? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. chick-among-us

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas

Very true Kim. Private is where this should have been if someone took exception. I'm sorry I should not have drug you into it. I'm sorry. :(

Edited to add: I am NOT interested in a debate AT ALL :p

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Not a problem at all [​IMG][​IMG]

10. chick-among-us

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    Maybe someone should auction something so we can remember why we love this thread. Go ahead Kim!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by