The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

You guys are teaching me. And I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe you guys can help me. I went to the eastern congress show last winter and purchased eggs from Kate Morreale (Golden Egg Farm). Only a handful developed and hatched. As they grew I noticed that the one was in fact non-bearded. But he's a very handsome boy and the last one I have from those eggs. I was hoping to separate and breed him to some of my girls and keep the bearded offspring and eventually cull him out. But is this a bad idea?

You guys are teaching me. And I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe you guys can help me. I went to the eastern congress show last winter and purchased eggs from Kate Morreale (Golden Egg Farm). Only a handful developed and hatched. As they grew I noticed that the one was in fact non-bearded. But he's a very handsome boy and the last one I have from those eggs. I was hoping to separate and breed him to some of my girls and keep the bearded offspring and eventually cull him out. But is this a bad idea?

That is tricky. Ideally he should not be used, unless he has other fabulous features that your hens lack. The beard is just one of about a dozen features you look for in these guys.
Looking at the quality of your hens I personally would not use him.

Just bumping this

This is my first time posting on this thread but everyone raves about it so I'd thought I'd give it a try. Let me know if I did not post correctly!

I have 12+ Purebred Silkie Hatching Eggs
Bidding Starts at $30 and shipping is an addition $13.45. Auction ends Tuesday November 22nd at 8pm EST. Will ship Wednesday morning. Payments made through PayPal.

Colors included in my pen are white, black and paint (almost all white and blacks are split to paint). I check fertility on a regular basis and thus far it has been 100%. I hatch white, black and paint chicks with the occasional partridge. I have 1 young cockerel that is non-bearded but from top lines (so he stays for now :) ). I pack with EXTRA care & time to ensure the eggs arrive in excellent condition but I can not control what happens once they are handed over to the USPS. Shipping is an additional $13.45. I will include as many extras as I can. Thank you.

Just for more clarification, if they carry the bearded gene, then they show it, right? We just don't know if they are carrying one or two copies??
correct
That is tricky. Ideally he should not be used, unless he has other fabulous features that your hens lack. The beard is just one of about a dozen features you look for in these guys.
Looking at the quality of your hens I personally would not use him.
I agree with this 100%. I would not use him.

Back
Top Bottom