The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I will have to look those varieties up & try them out! That's funny that you have a volunteer cucumber, I have a volunteer & I think it might be a cucumber...I won't know for sure until I get back home on Monday or Tuesday.
since we have a couple of squirrels and chipmunks, we also have a bunch of sunflowers coming up all over too but those i can live without

Do you do a lot of canning Rene?
I used to can & dehydrate quite a bit and then we decided that it was more work than it was worth...so I just do a few of the family favorites, ie...my mom's cherry sauce recipe...makes an awesome cherry chocolate cake & is amazing on ice cream! Apricot fruit leather & dried pears. We were ready to downsize, now with the uncertainty of our country's financial stability, we are stepping up our game. I bought a new canner, I still have my old one. I stocked up on new jars. I want to can meat as well as veggies & fruits. What I really want to do is enjoy retirement & travel, but survival prep comes first! Hopefully it will turn out better than we expect!

You all have been busy this morning, I'm going to play catch up a bit at a time

It's nice you guys have been able to get so much use out of your camper this summer. I suppose it is getting close to harvest season, how did that happen so fast?

Ugh, sorry about all that heat IM. That's not the kind of record anyone wants to break.

Morning Sour! Yep, it's August and according to my calendar there are only 153 days left of this year.
Now if we could just find a reasonable lake lot. Number 2 son came home today and we went and checked one out right on the lake shore. It was big enough for the camper. If you stepped out the door you’d have fallen in the lake.
That’s a good one! 2020 can go back to ****!

I used to can & dehydrate quite a bit and then we decided that it was more work than it was worth...so I just do a few of the family favorites, ie...my mom's cherry sauce recipe...makes an awesome cherry chocolate cake & is amazing on ice cream! Apricot fruit leather & dried pears. We were ready to downsize, now with the uncertainty of our country's financial stability, we are stepping up our game. I bought a new canner, I still have my old one. I stocked up on new jars. I want to can meat as well as veggies & fruits. What I really want to do is enjoy retirement & travel, but survival prep comes first! Hopefully it will turn out better than we expect!
i've canned since 1970 but never this much, my mil taught me the water bath way, have done it that way since then and still alive but with everyone saying its not the way to do it anymore, i invested in a pressure canner, in fact i have two now, a used presto and a all american, thank goodness my husband is here to help, the pressure canner scares me. maybe one day i will do it on my own but for now, he helps
the way things are going we might need all the stuff we can put up, i'm even canning butter, a first for me, also squash, another first, if anything does go bad, as some people are saying, we will have food anyway, and probably will be helping son and family
better safe than sorry

i've canned since 1970 but never this much, my mil taught me the water bath way, have done it that way since then and still alive but with everyone saying its not the way to do it anymore, i invested in a pressure canner, in fact i have two now, a used presto and a all american, thank goodness my husband is here to help, the pressure canner scares me. maybe one day i will do it on my own but for now, he helps
the way things are going we might need all the stuff we can put up, i'm even canning butter, a first for me, also squash, another first, if anything does go bad, as some people are saying, we will have food anyway, and probably will be helping son and family
better safe than sorry
I was scared of the pressure canner at first but as long as you watch it it’s a piece of cake. Heavy though!

Back
Top Bottom