The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I’m still using tomato juice I canned almost 5 years ago. The lids are nice and tight yet.
i'm not, we go thru alot of tomatoes but on the other hand, green beans, beets, theres only so many of those we can eat in a year and i keep canning more, yes i do rotate but still have a bunch, i have pear butter thats at least six years old and still good, since we don't eat much bread, no use for the butters i canned:D

I had a really aggressive canning policy while I lived in VA. When we got to TN and I got Laid off, the pantry fed the family very well.
I’m still using tomato juice I canned almost 5 years ago. The lids are nice and tight yet.
That's wonderful. and you' have the right gauge. I have tomato bullion/aka vegetable stock that is wonderful in recipes or just poured into a glass.

I make homemade bone broth in my instant pot, it's amazing. I usually freeze it in cubes and pull it out when I want some for a recipe or just to drink. I think that I'm going to try and pressure can some. Have any of you done that?
Yup. Do it all the time. 90 minutes per quart at 10lbs of pressure. all depending on altitude. I have been saving ham bones for years hoping to make a ham stock. and can it.

Yup. Do it all the time. 90 minutes per quart at 10lbs of pressure. all depending on altitude. I have been saving ham bones for years hoping to make a ham stock. and can it.
Thank you so much! We bought 1/2 a beef & I had them give me the bones. I also had them include the fat so that I could render it...so much better for you than highly processed oils!

I make homemade bone broth in my instant pot, it's amazing. I usually freeze it in cubes and pull it out when I want some for a recipe or just to drink. I think that I'm going to try and pressure can some. Have any of you done that?
i make mine in the slow cooker, then freeze it in ice trays, use it for soups

Thank you so much! We bought 1/2 a beef & I had them give me the bones. I also had them include the fat so that I could render it...so much better for you than highly processed oils!
i didn't ask for the fat on the beef, just the pig, made some lard, still have some fat in the freezer since i don't need that much all at once. have you ever made chicken fat to cook with? i cut the fat off the chicken and render it also to add for flavoring in different things

I'm to impatient for the slow cooker...lol! If I'm ambitious, I can get 2 batches done in one day! I freeze mine in silicone baby food trays & I have 4 silicone trays that have four separate 1 cup sections!
i can do it overnight , makes the house smell so good while its cooking and i hope i'm not going anywhere that i can do it that way

i didn't ask for the fat on the beef, just the pig, made some lard, still have some fat in the freezer since i don't need that much all at once. have you ever made chicken fat to cook with? i cut the fat off the chicken and render it also to add for flavoring in different things
We will be butchering our pigs in a couple of months, I will also render the lard. I haven't done chicken, didn't think of doing that, but I will now, thank you. I use duck fat, it's fantastic for frying eggs!

Back
Top Bottom