The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

i know rj, in fact, i threw a jar of tomatoes away this morning, sent husband to bring up a couple of jars, i wanted one up here and he wanted tomato gravy for dinner, he also brought one that had unsealed, it went in the disposal
and i soaked the jar in vinegar, then washed it in hot soapy water
since i now have two pressure canners, i will learn how to use them, i won't waste the money i spent on them
i've canned most everything in a water bath kettle, all my veggies, beef, but not pork or any other meat, those i just throw into the freezer, but if things get bad, i might have to can everything in the freezer, if we lose the electric but if i do have trouble i will yell for help, thank you
I want to can some meat. It’s so good thickened with a gravy over mashed potatoes.

but sour, us ladies don't have those :lau

:duc
Many are lobbying to throw 2020 away early. I'll likely vote for that, but then the pessimist in me kicks in and says what if 21 is worse? :oops: Guess I oughta just shut up and color.

Right now the thought of winter and everyone inside has me worried.

There's a funny story out here somewhere on BYC about designing my stock pot. Debby, I'll recap here, hopefully it's not redundant....

I was at a hotel in Atlantic city NJ on the patio. It was after work, and we are prohibited from talking work after hours. At the table were a biologist, a couple of engineers, a physicist a couple of process engineers and me. We had a 1.75l bottle of crown royal and some wine on the table.

Okay, I'm looking for an efficient way to can stock. It takes 12+ hours regardless of quantity, so how do we do it smarter. So the physicist asked the biologist what were the danger points. By now everyone on the patio was watching and listening to us. After several iterations, we decided on a 160Qt stock pot, a 150K rocket burner and instructions to get the stock to a boil in the required time and then turned back to a simmer. We chose two american canners that each hold 14 quarts. So I can can 28 quarts at a time. So when I can stock, I try for 70-90 quarts at a time.

Ah ha, that's the sort of help I'm missing in the kitchen...a biologist, some engineers, a physicist. Yeah, that would help! :lol:

Maybe at some point. Hubs isn't ready to retire yet, a few more years to go, and where we are is a good location for the most part. In the mean time we're fixing up our place a bit, lots of landscaping, painting, etc.
We are in the same place. DW is retired but I have to wait for SSI and Medicare age

I guess your area is out of the question...you guys are about as hot as IM's area.

Morning Ron :frow

Good morning Rene! According to my BYC calendar, it really is August. Next thing you know, we'll be talking about winter weather and Christmas.

Wasn't me Cap, honest! :cool:
Yes, it is too hot here and expensive to live too.

We will see what happens in about 5 years.

Off topic... I can't believe how expensive medication is guys. We don't have medical insurance right now and one month of Igors asthma maintenance drug is $350+ from any of the major pharmacies here. Can you say asinine?

I found an online pharmacy in Canada where it's cheaper than what we were paying with insurance here in the US.
Sometimes it is cheaper from Germany too

what kind? last year we had a bunch of , i think the were mini white pumpkins, gd picked them as fast as they got the size she wanted so i never got one to see if it was a pumpkin for sure, this year i have cantaloupes where they were, they look nice so far
i meant what kind on both cap
Idk about either really. The tomatoes might be the large cherries I really like, I expect the squash is a big red warty type.

Back
Top Bottom