The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

We will be butchering our pigs in a couple of months, I will also render the lard. I haven't done chicken, didn't think of doing that, but I will now, thank you. I use duck fat, it's fantastic for frying eggs!
we have the kune-kunes and had one butchered in may, he was rooting the pasture up and thats a no no for them so he had to go.
i use butter or bacon grease for our eggs, i would have to buy duck fat, we don't have ducks, just chickens and one tom turkey(looking for a hen for him)
hope you like the chicken fat

we have the kune-kunes and had one butchered in may, he was rooting the pasture up and thats a no no for them so he had to go.
i use butter or bacon grease for our eggs, i would have to buy duck fat, we don't have ducks, just chickens and one tom turkey(looking for a hen for him)
hope you like the chicken fat
I have to buy the duck fat, I don't have any! We also use bacon grease and butter!

We will be butchering our pigs in a couple of months, I will also render the lard. I haven't done chicken, didn't think of doing that, but I will now, thank you. I use duck fat, it's fantastic for frying eggs!
forgot to say, if you don't have enough fat to render you can throw it in the freezer until you get enough to make it worth while

There's a funny story out here somewhere on BYC about designing my stock pot. Debby, I'll recap here, hopefully it's not redundant....

I was at a hotel in Atlantic city NJ on the patio. It was after work, and we are prohibited from talking work after hours. At the table were a biologist, a couple of engineers, a physicist a couple of process engineers and me. We had a 1.75l bottle of crown royal and some wine on the table.

Okay, I'm looking for an efficient way to can stock. It takes 12+ hours regardless of quantity, so how do we do it smarter. So the physicist asked the biologist what were the danger points. By now everyone on the patio was watching and listening to us. After several iterations, we decided on a 160Qt stock pot, a 150K rocket burner and instructions to get the stock to a boil in the required time and then turned back to a simmer. We chose two american canners that each hold 14 quarts. So I can can 28 quarts at a time. So when I can stock, I try for 70-90 quarts at a time.

I will have to look those varieties up & try them out! That's funny that you have a volunteer cucumber, I have a volunteer & I think it might be a cucumber...I won't know for sure until I get back home on Monday or Tuesday.
I think my volunteer tomatoes are doing great, and I also have volunteer squash .

I think my volunteer tomatoes are doing great, and I also have volunteer squash .
what kind? last year we had a bunch of , i think the were mini white pumpkins, gd picked them as fast as they got the size she wanted so i never got one to see if it was a pumpkin for sure, this year i have cantaloupes where they were, they look nice so far
i meant what kind on both cap

There's a funny story out here somewhere on BYC about designing my stock pot. Debby, I'll recap here, hopefully it's not redundant....

I was at a hotel in Atlantic city NJ on the patio. It was after work, and we are prohibited from talking work after hours. At the table were a biologist, a couple of engineers, a physicist a couple of process engineers and me. We had a 1.75l bottle of crown royal and some wine on the table.

Okay, I'm looking for an efficient way to can stock. It takes 12+ hours regardless of quantity, so how do we do it smarter. So the physicist asked the biologist what were the danger points. By now everyone on the patio was watching and listening to us. After several iterations, we decided on a 160Qt stock pot, a 150K rocket burner and instructions to get the stock to a boil in the required time and then turned back to a simmer. We chose two american canners that each hold 14 quarts. So I can can 28 quarts at a time. So when I can stock, I try for 70-90 quarts at a time.
That is a lot of stock! I wish I could can that much at a time. I can can (lol, can can) 😂...21 quarts with my two canners!

Back
Top Bottom