The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

We wish we had a fireplace! Usually when it’s cold enough to use one we have restrictions and couldn’t use it anyway
We have 2 fireplaces. It was my dream to have a house with a fireplace. Both of them were wood burning. We lit the living room a few times. I was terrified of a fire. In 2000 we converted the living room one into gas. We use it all winter long. When it’s not used it has a terrible draft coming through. The house is rarely warm in the winter because of the drafts through the fireplaces. I imagine they weren’t done properly when the house was built. They are nice to take the chill out of the air.
Good morning everyone.
Hi IM!

G

They will all be 1 in May. This is the second one exhibiting the same symptoms as my Green Queen that died a couple months ago.
It is a bit of an odd age for mareks to show up. Usually it is younger for the initial infection and then at about age 2 for the reproductive cancer.

A necropsy is a very good idea!

Good to know! I will post an update if we end up having to send for a necropsy.
Mareks is one of those things that nearly all chickens get close to after hatching and is rarely fatal. Usually you do not even know they were sick. Not vaccinated hens have about a 7%ish chance of getting cancer at about age two. Vaccinated hens get cancer at about a 3% rate.

I have read about some particularly bad strains though that kill at a much higher rate for the initial infection though.

Meg, your dog could have been a brother to our old dog Bear. We always wondered what breed he was. We adopted him from the humane society. I’m sure he was a combination of different breeds but looks alot like yours. He was a good dog.
7D472FD0-C264-4498-B4FA-48C6F092A5DE.png FD044A48-8036-4E4A-87C5-69A35C65143D.png

Back
Top Bottom