The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Well, Debby, another fail with the pig... :th I started the pot at 10:00 this morning and it's just now up to 110*. Where's my physicist when I needed him. :gig Plan B... Swap out the propane tank just before dark and set the burner to half open (the setting I use to simmer stock) and at 9:00 tomorrow we'll crank it back up and try again. 40 gallons of 35 degree water on a 150,000 btu burner. When I do my stock it'll come to a boil within 3 hours, but I generally do stock when temps are 50's and 60's and all the solids are at room temp when they go in.

I'm learning, just learning the hard way :barnie It's going to get down to 30 tonight, so I'll have to drain the hose before we swap out the tank. A fresh 20lbs tank generally lasts me about 36 hours, so this "should" work. I'm so glad we didn't try last weekend. It would have been way worse.
:fl :fl

Red beet eggs? Is that where you pickle the eggs & beets at the same time?
yes, i boil the eggs, cook the beets (if not already canned), then add the eggs to my gallon jar, add a few sliced beets , in beet juice i add my cloves, vinegar and sugar, heat til the sugar is incorporated, then pour over the eggs, let cool down and stick into the fridge til the next day, then he can eat(i taste to make sure its sour enough for him, then have him taste, if its right then i finish)
not fancy but he loves them

yes, i boil the eggs, cook the beets (if not already canned), then add the eggs to my gallon jar, add a few sliced beets , in beet juice i add my cloves, vinegar and sugar, heat til the sugar is incorporated, then pour over the eggs, let cool down and stick into the fridge til the next day, then he can eat(i taste to make sure its sour enough for him, then have him taste, if its right then i finish)
not fancy but he loves them

Interesting, never had anything like that before!

Interesting, never had anything like that before!
me neither til i married him and moved north, his mother always made them and believe me she was a good cook, made do with very little cause t
edited to say, its easy and everyone up north makes them, even salad bars have them on it just not as sour as mine

thanks, might hop over and see
Be aware that Granny's thread runs fast, like the Café thread. Mostly at night though whereas the café is super busy during the day.

BTW, while I originally thought that the user name meant she was a granny and her last name was hatchet. However she corrected me and THIS is a Granny Hatchet, AKA Eastern Fence Lizard. I don't think that OUR Granny Hatchet resembles this though.
sceund210.jpg

Be aware that Granny's thread runs fast, like the Café thread. Mostly at night though whereas the café is super busy during the day.

BTW, while I originally thought that the user name meant she was a granny and her last name was hatchet. However she corrected me and THIS is a Granny Hatchet, AKA Eastern Fence Lizard. I don't think that OUR Granny Hatchet resembles this though.
sceund210.jpg

Is that true????

Back
Top Bottom