The Old Folks Home

I also spend time and money on my animals and it makes it hard to vacation. I do have a couple of people who will come out and feed everyone, though, but it is such an imposition. I only have a few chickens (5 right now, but I live in town and can't have many and spring is coming), 3 dogs, 1 button quail and 2 aquariums (20 gallon and 65 gallon). Between the chickens, quail, dogs and fish, it is a burden that I wouldn't wish on my friends, having to learn all the different feedings. I used to think it was a waste of money and felt guilty when I started with the chickens and quail, but needed them as stress relief for my job. And I dearly love my chickens and quail) I had two dogs then, but since have added one. They are family. The aquariums were an accident- I had an aquarium that I was using to house a couple of button quail, but they eventually died, so there it was staring at me, so I got fish. A friend said here mother was getting too old to manage her big tank, so she gave it to me ( the mother is 4 years older than me, so hmmm) I just couldn't say no.
So here I am with a menagerie and trying to be guilt free. They do keep me busy, though.
awesopme.jpg

I had the funniest thing happen last night. I went out to lock up the chickens and give them some scratch feed before they went to roost so they had something in their crops to help keep them warm. One of my little SWD OEGB cockerels had gotten out, I suspect he found a hole in the netting that I didn't plug good enough and staged an escape.

The little guy was running around having fun. Our chicken guard dog, Buck ran right by him. I called him and his sister back to the house and then went to catch 'Rambo' or Bo, as I call him. He is super tame and ran up to me as I approached. When I asked him what he thought he was doing on the wrong side of the fence when there is a fox around and he started chattering excitedly at me, danced back and forth on first one leg then the other and finally picked up some blades of grass that he had found and laid them at my feet.

I told him that might impress the bantam hens but not me! It was so darned cute to look down and see this little barely 2 pound cockerel looking up at me with a blade of grass in his beak, chattering away about his adventure 'outside'.

I found the hole in the net where two nets are spliced together. It's on the 'to do' list for today......

Back
Top Bottom