The Old Folks Home

Now that makes me wanna get back out in the garden,
I could go out but there won't be anything that looks like a ripe tomato. Well maybe a couple of sungold cherries.

$120.00 for a sheet of 3/8 plywood? Goodgrief
:th

Glad I wasn't looking to build anything.
If I were looking to build something those prices would put a hard stop to that fantasy.

Although the Turkish Turban squash are huge.

Now I need to hunt up some recipes on how to cook the silly things.
Winter squash? Probably make great soup.

@sourland What have you been doing? Your wish about just one more hatch looks like it's coming to pass.
Ut Ohhhhhhhhh. Last I counted she had 12 eggs in there and hasn't left the nest in two days.
DSC_0003.JPG

He he he, she's K.E.'s other wife.
Here's the brood from Sara his first wife.
DSC_0020.JPG

11 weeks old and the boys (at least one of them) are crowing. Seems to be 3 to 2 in favor of cockerels.

Last edited:
I'm really greatful that I have one daughter from the hen that was killed by a snake. I had previously hatched some of her eggs and only one turned out to be female. Snowflake's daughter.
DSC_0037.JPG

Don't know if anyone recalls Prince, my one winged wonder. I wondered if he would be able to balance in order to breed.. Yes he does. Amanda got two of his daughters after losing her prized hens to a snake. Damned they are prolific here. I still have one of his daughter's out of my BSL. Anyhoo, here he is.
DSC_0032.JPG

He's Cockoo Marans out of my BCM hen. The feather pattern he has is amazing.
DSC_0034.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone know about the FODMAP diet? I found one chart that says foods to avoid, it includes anything where wheat or spelt is a major ingredient. And a chart that says foods you can eat - those that include wheat or spelt

:th :he
Sounded so odd, I had to look it up.

It is just a fancy name for "figure out what foods are screwing you up".

So... just do that.

Cut out everything and eat just super gentle anti-inflammatory foods for a few weeks until you (though miserable because of the diet) are intestinally feeling good.

Then add one food back in. ONE at a time. Wait a few days.... add in the next food.

Continue slowly.

I had to do that with my kids.

But we cut out a handful of problematic items (found by allergy test) for 9 months. Then we reintroduced each problem item, one at a time, 3 times a day for multiple days, to see EXACTLY how bad that item could be.

Anyway, worked great.

If dairy is messing you up... it takes a full 6 weeks for the gut to heal and recover.

Back
Top Bottom