The Old Folks Home

I just finished up doing coop chores. It slowed down to a gentle mist, so I took advantage of the break in the rain, and got things done out there. By the way, I use Purina crumbles for my flock. The past couple months it was more like Purina flour. I had debated about changing to pellets, or changing brands entirely. Dh went to get feed. They assured him this batch is crumbles, not flour. Apparently there were enough returns, and complaints, the problem got solved. My chickens are happy the crumbles are back in their feeders.

Well, saw the podiatrist today. She is a super nice lady. Fun, helpful and a great chairside manner. She examined my worse foot, the right foot and then we talked for awhile. Wound up doing digital x-rays, which she did herself and then talked them over with me letting me see them.

The verdict? I have two bone spurs on the top of my right foot and arthritis in both feet. The Spurs are causing pain in one area and the arthritis is causing the rest. She couldn't tell if it was rheumatic, osteo or both at play. That would require an MRI.

First round of treatment is different shoes. Not much else to be done at this point. I came home and bought two pairs of rocker bottom shoes. She said I had to get pressure off the balls of my feet and at the same time be careful around the bone spurs. Found the shoes, HOKA's that she recommended on Amazon but then went to their site and found a pair on sale for half the price of Amazons. If the rocker soled shoes don't give me relief, then I have to get the MRI.

In all seriousness, I opted to try this first before doing the MRI. In time the spurs may need surgical removal but till then it's like a forest fire. You can pee on it all you want but you won't ever get that fire under control.

I'm okay with that. It's progressive, the arthritis is but I knew that. It will slowly rob me of my mobility but for now I can still get around and that is what I have to struggle to preserve. So at least I now know what is going on in my feet.

Things could always be so much worse so as the saying goes, God grant me the strength to change the things I can change, the serenity to accept the things that can't be changed and the ability to recognize the difference.

The fodmap diet really works, after you know which carbs/ sugars are bothering you, (fodmap are carbohydrates), you find out you may still be able to enjoy them but at smaller servings. Not everybody on that diet needs to cut wheat out 100 %. My Dr recommended it for my irritable bowel and because many of the foods on the diet are anti inflammatory the GI Dr recommended the diet for my Crohn's as well. If you find a treatment that helps without using medication, then by all means do it! Might not work for everyone but it's helping me.
As for DH, he's back in the hospital and they have to limit the use of antibiotics and Tylenol as his body is still trying to recover from the mega doses received a week and a half ago. Trying to figure out where the he persistent infection is coming from and figuring out a way to boost his nutrition without a feeding tube. Spent all last night in the ER, exhausted, I came home this forenoon for some shuteye. Three hours felt good but they called me to return so I'm present for some more procedures they needed to do. Now with the buzz of the night creatures floating in the open window I'm 😴zzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom