The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SCG wow $ 70 eggs = Miss Piggy, and very expensive' Thriller' stew - you are eating too high off the hog - methinks.

Miss Piggy is a LOVE!! Are show girls smarter than regular silkies? I never knew silkie-showgirls ever roosted. BYC has a lesson for me.

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Well SCG I can say that Cynthia is super cute so I think you would have to make her supper and tuck her in at night if she visited. I do think she would be a little less demanding than Miss Piggy though [​IMG]
    I have got to get the poults out of the house today. I don't know why this group is so smelly (yes I clean the brooder twice a day) but they need to go to the garage. They get moved today also because I don't want to worry about my DS cleaning the brooder while we are out of town. Today is going to be super busy getting the house cleaned, yard mowed, chicken pen cleaned, laundry done, etc. for the trip. Best news is at least I don't have to worry about the barn anymore. The roof is completely shingled now! [​IMG] No more raining in the barn. [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] Maybe we can both get over to SCG's . . . . . just kidding SCG--- I"d be most likely to be out petting the goats, feeding the chickens, and watching the bees. . . I don't need pampering, but one day of it sure sounded good.

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Well I didn't expect to get 2 chicks from 70$ eggs. I tried my best to sell Thriller but he was quite the toad, Showgirl boys are nowhere near as cute as the girls. I was disappointed but Miss Piggy is a peach and I guess well worth her 70$. Here's what my BF thought of Thriller.

[​IMG]

I had my busy day yesterday - did some major spring cleaning in the house, got the goats toes clipped without being kicked in the head (if you want a humorous yet highly aerobic activity for when you come to visit, I highly recommend this one), got the goat haus cleaned out, did a bunch of laundry, packed, did my treadmill time, made some awesome fried chicken... odd how the day goes by so quickly when you're busy. I also got my next sewing project (a new hamper liner) started which I hope to continue today after my quest for water socks has been fulfilled.

I fly out tomorrow!

5. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    We heva 4 little ones in a little house hanging in a maple tree. My granddaughter got it last year and painted it for us. We hung it there just for her and it has had nests in it for the last 2 years. Nothing in the larger prettier bird houses. I am glad it was her house since she gave it to us and we check it. It has to be a small bird but I haven't seen the parents,

6. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Enjoy your trip. Utah is beautiful.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just hatched 4 Canada Geese.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Do you have to get a permit for those? Do show the babies!

9. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Congrats CC! Woot Woot - Canadian flying vermin-like RATZ! [​IMG]

<<I can say this because I remember a time when it was highly illegal to hunt them--now they are numerous...so numerous you just have to put a nice green lawn and be slip sliding away on the goosey greases!>> [​IMG] Canadian success story or??? [​IMG]

The way I remember what needs permits and what don't is the logic behind the reasons for it to begin with. Always exceptions, so best to ask too--regulations can change and ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat ("ignorance of the law") is no plea!

Don't want the CAPTIVE populations mixing with the NATIVE WILDS...sooooo....here on continental North America...

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) needs a permit but Mandarins (Aix galericulata) do not.

Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) need a permit, but Australian Black Swans (Cygnus atratus) do not.

Rudy Shels (Tadorna ferruginea) and Egyptian "Geese" (Alopochen aegyptiaca) do not need permits...they are from Europe and Africa.

Hawaiian Nene geese (Branta sandvicensis) do not need a permit...they are from Hawaii (but maybe you need a permit in Hawaii...LOL).

If there is a wild population of the birds IN the area one wants to have the birds in...makes sense they do not want the captive birds mixing with the wilds...high potential for disease transfers I suppose.

I still have not quite figured out some of the regs...it is OK to sell, trade, give away say the "Silver" or "Buff" Mallards but not the normal wild kind of "Grey" Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos- native and the wild kind). I don't "get" that too well because they are colour mutations (varieties) of the wild duck breed...but then again...we have all those derivatives of mallards in the domestic duck as in Pekins, Calls, Appleyards, etc.

Things DO change as I believe Muscovies (Cairina moschata) had some legal changes done up recently (not well received by many too!)...I have no idea what the States has going on but up here in Canada--no changes to ownership of Muscovies of any of the varieties. I do admit to being a bit confused over the status of turkeys...I believe the North American wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo - in all of the six subspecies) require permits to own but then again...that might have changed too and I never kept up on it.

Best to ask those in places of authority so as not to get into the caca situations because we assumed it to stay the same! LOL

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a friend with a permit for her business to take down nests where the geese are a nuisance. She works office parks, colleges and cemeteries. She chases the geese from walkways and rooftops where they aren't supposed to be. The geese frequently attack workers and students. There's video of her online being attacked by ganders. She sent me a text pic of a gander on her windshield trying to get at her. Tuesday, she had just taken down a nest and had the eggs in a bucket in her car which were to be destroyed. I said my incubator was fired up so I stuck 6 eggs in the hatcher, not knowing how far along they were. 24 hours later they started hatching. I dropped them off at her house and she's taking them to Missouri Waterfowl Rescue where they'll raise them up for release.
    The camera is in the car but I'll post pics later or tomorrow. There's still 2 eggs in the hatcher and one pipped. I thought I built my hatcher large enough for any bird but these guys are pretty big- greaters.

There are so many Canadian geese around here and there are a lot of resident populations that stay year round. Then they mix with the migrators.

ETA

To be more accurate, the facility that has the nuisance has to get the federal permit. She has the permits in her possession for all the properties she works.
    She has actually witnessed people at these office parks stomping on the hatchlings as they come out of the egg. Apparently that is legal with the permit.

BTW there's another hatching.

Last edited: May 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by