The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That's really quite interesting that that's what she does for a business. How does one get started in that? I've seen the funny youtube pictures of people being chased by the geese. It makes me giggle every time.

About to try and fall asleep here. Flight leaves at 623, I'm an hour and a half from the airport.

I did get my hamper done:

[​IMG]

I'll spare you the before of the hamper - it was bad. The hamper had caught a touch of mildew, so then I washed it on the "sterilize" cycle with bleach which should just be called the "pulverize" cycle. This one looks amazing comparatively speaking and I think the birds brighten it up a bit. This would have been surprisingly easy to do had I not wanted a 3-way. Adding the compartments was a bit hairy. I also used mildew resistant outdoor fabric as I learned my lesson from slightly damp towels. I can't believe a year and a half ago I couldn't sew a button on. Now I look at things and go - I can fix that! or I can make that better!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] Looks wonderful!!

3. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Isn't it rather ludicrous that we need government permission to own a particular bird, and at the same time permission is granted to others to "stomp on the hatchlings" as soon as they exit the egg? We can't own or possess the bird without a permit, but by gosh and by golly we can collect up the wild bird's eggs and destroy them! Governments are for the birds! They should be abolished!

4. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    UGH! I know, I know...we the people...so often WE are the invasive species...sigh. We try to let Nature have room here. Got a few patches we fenced off and left, as is, where is. Native Prairie is a rarity--funny that as there use to be so much untouched...oh well. We even let the ants have ant hills...leave the wasps alone unless they decide to build where we are going to get stung a lot. Wasps eat flies...fine by me! Bat houses, bird houses, feeders, baths, waterfall has a ton of young birds bathing it it...our makeshift stream I guess...yeh. Try to share where we are able.

Planted the two rowan berries beside the pond and waterfall. Laugh...they camein the mail, fit inside an envelope...they sure would not NOW! I feel old...[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Like to see the birds eating the berries.

[​IMG]
    Pair of Canary Finches beside Rick's Chair Window in the House [​IMG]

I love these ones...like having a Canary but they are wild...you don't have to do nothing but refill the feeders and keep water in the baths...nice.

Rick got his pond emptied yesterday and filled it with water, got the waterfall running...add fish soon.

[​IMG]

Another sign of spring...the snow melts off the driveway area leaving behind the limerock off the road on each side. Rick tries not to pick too much up with the tractor but some always ends up on the sides.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Me and a date with the leaf rake and she is done. If you leave it, grass grows up and it is near impossible to get the rocks out...but even so, all those rocks take out nice pieces of lawn mower blades, never mind winging them around and dangerous!

Got the Ruddy Shels moved...cleared out their summer quarters, filled it back up with oat straw, filled kiddy pool and happiness reins supreme.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Musta worked too much...tired the dog out...ol' dog Fixins...she's napping!​

[​IMG]

Happy pair! Splish Splash...was taking a bath...

[​IMG]
    Then the preening...bring on the preening. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back in the run and pen for the night.
    Next to move are the two pairs of swans but doncha know it...snow forecast for tomorrow...oh well, won't stay for long. Time to think warm weather and new digs...

Real sign of spring...me making the 7x batch of BQ sauce...now that tells it is BQ seasons...my fav meal of all...hotdogs or burgers...'cause it means we are on the man porch having a family meal. Yee Haw.

I hate vinegary BQ Sauce...I use to hate all BQ sauce...blah...I love this one...so does Rick and my kid...

HOME MADE BQ SAUCE

1 cup Maple flavoured Syrup
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    2 tbsp Chili Sauce
    1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
    4 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
    1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
    1 tbsp Dijon Honey Mustard (or hot sweet)
    1 tbsp Deli Mustard
    1 tbsp Horseradish
    15 drops Tabasco Sauce (if you like it hot)

[​IMG]

Mix in big pot (I do this up 7x the recipe). Boil over medium heat. Whisk occasionally.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When it starts to foam and stick to the sides, she is getting near ready.

[​IMG]

Cool and bottle say in ketchup bottles...store in fridge. NUMMY...good for chook, pork chops, burgers, dogs (hot), steak...whatever...maybe even shrimps too!

[​IMG]

So there...BQ season is officially there...and I am ready! Bring it ON! [​IMG]

Gotta run...gotta chicken that needs to meet the BQ and the sauce to embellish it with...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Tr
    tree looks like a species of sorbus

6. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Yes, Rowanberry, Service...Mountain Ash.

[​IMG]

Trees are not too big here in 2006, one on each side of the top of the waterfall.

[​IMG]

Another two years later...2008.

[​IMG]

Just leafing out May 25 2012.

[​IMG]

Trees have gotten a lot bigger now (2013). They do grow rather quickly.

Had Mt. Ash that grew wild on Nor Van Island but we can't grow that particular kind here. Whatever "kind" of Mt. Ash these ones are, they seem to do fine. This is a close up of berries and leaves.

[​IMG]

You can laugh...when the young Robins began eating the berries, I weighed the berries because I could not believe how many they were gutzing down!

[​IMG]

Baby Waxwings also eat off our trees.

[​IMG]

Tara

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

We just put last months hatchlings in the new grow out arena - 236 chicks [​IMG]

While Mrs Oz was in the States, our new guy Dominic decided to put every egg laid in the incubator.

We have Muscovy, Chicken, Chukar, Quail and Guineas all coming along. He candled and said there are over 200 viable - he is so proud of himself we could hardly get upset with his misunderstanding of instructions. I guess the "I dont care what you do with them" should have included "as long as you dont power up the bator"

Oy Vey.

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

A few pics of last weeks trip to see Gryeyes and onto the Oregon Coast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Beauty pics Oz...thank you as always!

Seven logs to fill a truck's bunkers...reminds me of the WEsT Coast...tree big enough to flatten a vehicle...BIG WOODS!

Pretty rainbow...water shots, lovely flowers, vineyards, & beasts and ah yes, no Red Winged Blackbirds here yet...that's a sure sign of spring's arrival!

Getting torrential rains here right now...so maybe this instead of snow...that would bring on the cattail birds, yes!

Thank you for the feast for the eyes and glad you and Mah got home safe and sound...and to a horde of new lives...bwa ha ha...that'll teach ya for leaving the home fires in the incubator fireable! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tara

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Great pics, Oz! I can't wait til y'all make a trip to the south! Come in the fall and I'll show you how we do football in Alabama!

(I will just point out that I resisted the urge to brag on Tara's lovely reply that didn't include all of Oz's beautiful pics- again. :) )

Last edited: May 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by