The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. apteryx

apteryx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Alabama
    On the bright side, I guess you know you have someone who is enthusiastic about this chicken endeavor.....

And as someone who is a transplant to Alabama, when Wisher says "how we do football in Alabama" she is is right. There is much more to it than just the game. Plus, the weather here in the fall is beautiful!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    We are on our way to pick up SCG in St. George. And the most excellent adventure begins. Oz very pretty pictures!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where are you going? When I fly or take/pick up someone at the airport, I'm happy I'm only about 15 minutes away. Sitting on the plane at the end of a long flight and hear people talk about having a 3 hour drive awaiting them - I'd like to live farther out in the country but close to town has its advantages.

Very nice hamper.

My friend was one of the first organizers of GeesePeace. She's worked in rescue for many years, an animal trainer, of the Victoria Stillwell type - including exotics. In a couple weeks she's taking a seminar on guinea pig training (I told her she'll have to tell them she's eaten guinea pig). She has border collies trained specifically for chasing geese from lakes or onto lakes depending on the site. One office park allows the geese on the lakes and grassy areas on the opposite side of the lake from the walkways. The colleges allow the geese in and around the lakes but not between the classroom buildings. Once she had to remove a nest from the roof of a Home Depot because the gander would attack as people entered the store.
    http://fox2now.com/2012/03/15/companies-using-dogs-to-scare-geese-away/

I think these regulations came about to protect migratory birds and when one species (like Canadian Geese) get so populous, the regulatory system is too cumbersome to modify itself. They could easily take the Canadians off the list while still protecting teal, pintails, etc..

Your place looks beautiful. Mine hasn't been that nice since before I had chickens.

I make my own BBQ sauce too. I don't use a recipe though, just throw in what I have on hand. Usually have what I need though - especially the cayenne and honey.

We're definitely the invasive species. Us, and the domestic cats we bring to all corners of the earth.
    We keep moving into wild areas and are amazed when we come into contact and have bad encounters with mountain lions, snakes, etc..

Sounds like you've developed another hatch-aholic.

Awesome.

X2
    I also love the one with the mountains reflected in the lake.
    I'm jealous of all you people with the awesome photography skills.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

5. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Well I have a sticky rooster problem. Yesterday while feeding my roo Whitey spurred at my 4 yr old son. Normally I solve aggressive roos in the quick traditional way but Whitey is to expensive to eat.. He has "eyeballed me" but never actually tried to take me on yet.
    [​IMG]
    Any tips on how to break him of this new behavior would be great. I can't afford to replace him so he needs to stay.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Bloody Canadians [​IMG]

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    double post

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    good point.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My caution is against fast movements around roosters, that includes small children running.
    Predators move fast and anything that moves fast around the flock can start that behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by