The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It really is not a very exciting scar...

Ottman is my last name. There was a Guy in High School that called me Otto--The nick name did not stick thank goodness. I would need to be a much larger and Burtish fellow to be called Otto....

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I can show you my rat bite.

3. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Rat Bite!

4. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I did find this little bit of information regarding the "Genetic Mechanisms of Sex Determination", of "The ZZ-ZW mechanism of sex determination is not restricted to birds. Within the vertebrates, a similar system of sex determination has been identified in reptiles, as well as in some fishes and amphibians."

It was quite an interesting read.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/genetic-mechanisms-of-sex-determination-314

5. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Just wait a few years and when they get here in the states, you can take them on a REAL coaster :) I love coasters [​IMG]

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That was a good read, but I wish they'd explain it a bit more, they lost me here:

The sex chromosomes in Lepidoptera are designated W and Z. W chromosome is usually associated with the development of female characteristics. When the W chromosome is absent, ZZ develops into males and ZO develop into females.

So where/how does O come in if the sex chromosomes are W and Z? [​IMG]And what happens when a W is involved?

That whole section went over my head.

Thanks for sharing.

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I've had two heart ablations for irregular heart beat. Didn't work, and the doc says, best not go in again, may cause more problems than not. He said I have so many different ones going on.. I may be eligible for a pace maker in the future. Feel the darn heart go ballistic every day of my life. Not going back just yet..if my heart does do more fibrillation..a different type of irregular heart beat, then maybe. I only have those once in a while.
    Tried the meds..can't do them, tried the ablations, didn't work. Was on Warfarin for a while, nothing now. So, I ask, if nothing is working, what happens to my heart? The dr. simply says, it will wear down faster. Alrighty then.

8. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Driving to Nashville tomorrow. Woohoo a 6 hour road trip. They found some swelling in Maddy's last scans so we have to go to Vanderbilt for more scans and a consult with Dr. Kelly, the doctor who did her surgery. Staying an extra day and taking her to the zoo.

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Praying for you All!

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG what confuses me is how we got on to butterflies from chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by