The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Crossing the Road

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping
    She did jump in. lol they were hot.
    I kept ice blocks in there water buckets last year and it helped keep them cool plus I sprayed the hose or hooked up the sprinkler and the turkey love it and so did the chickens.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just last night the police caught some culprits that had just stolen 4 large AC units as they were leaving the scene of the crime. They were piled high in the back of a truck.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. bamadude

bamadude Crowing

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Cannabis

4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Crowing

[​IMG], but is it legal in that part of the G W N?

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Move the flower pot to Colorado and visit it regularly.

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop

It is an odd situation. It may be legal to grow in Colorado, but it is illegal according to the Feds, so they will not let any Federal water to be allocated for growing it.

7. Pozees

Pozees Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

I have 42 acres ... and a well ...

It is entertaining to listen to all the discussion about the new tax revenue generated by recreational marijuana. Once we get the details nailed, I am guessing other states will follow suit, and the Federal law will eventually change. Right now the legals are all trying to figure out whether federal water can be used to grow industrial hemp.

My position on all of it really hasn't changed a lot. I tried pot in college and it was the most expensive sleeping pill I ever had. Excellent sleep though. I have no problem with anyone using as long as they are reasonable about it. My mother's best friend used it during her last few weeks of life as she lost her battle to cancer. My mother called me and expressed the wish she had begun using it a long time earlier, as it made her tolerable to be around for the first time in months. She was finally relieved of much of her pain, was able to eat, and enjoy the company of her husband and friends.

Industrial hemp could save a lot of trees, medicinal marijuana has helped many ill people, recreational use seems to me no more harmful than alcohol and possibly far less so.

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO, most of the drill sergeants in basic training were more sadistic. The idea was, if you could take the abuse of basic training, no sleep, rigorous all day workouts, run, never walk anytime one was outdoors, up all night shakedowns - then, if you became a prisoner of war, you could probably take that abuse too without breaking. The same basic training company I was in, the rotation before mine, 4 recruits died of exhaustion. The same officers and sergeants were in charge for my rotation. It was in Fort Leonard Wood, a couple hundred miles from my home and I remembered reading the account in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Imagine my chagrin when I realized I had the same leadership.

There was a case where some of the parents, upset by the treatment of their sons, took the school and Brother Bernhard to court. The school won. The verdict was, 'you sent your sons here to be disciplined. If you don't want them disciplined, send them somewhere else.

I eventually had, not a love/hate relationship, more of a respect/hate relationship with him. I even went to his retirement and finally his funeral many years later.
    I almost flunked out of senior year because of his religion class. Yeah, believe it or not, he was even able to make religion as difficult as physics or calculus. With the final exam, I passed the class by 1 point. He called me in after school the last day and told me he knew I did that on purpose. After all the A's in Spanish class, he apparently thought I was smarter than I really was. The class was that hard I was sweating it the whole way.

There was a drill sergeant in basic that was so sadistic, I vowed to myself one day that I'd beat him to a pulp if I ever saw him again. It was a particularly hot day and we were doing the daily forced march from the rifle ranges to the barracks. It ranged from 7 to 11 miles depending on which range. There was a water tower half way, we would always stop there to do pushups because someone couldn't keep up. It had rained this day as we were leaving the rifle range. We had ponchos but couldn't wear them. After the rain stopped and we were completely soaked they told us to put the ponchos on. Soaking wet and under that olive drab poncho with the 95F Missouri sun beating on us it was a little rough. More guys than normal dropped out of the march from exhaustion. Every time someone would drop out, we'd do pushups till no one could do a pushup any more. When we got to the water tower that day, we stopped and they told us we could take a drink from our canteens. Exhausted, as we all started to take the caps off of the canteens they yelled to put them away so no one had a chance to get a drink. They pulled all the guys out of the sag wagon that couldn't keep up.
    They made them all lay down in front of us and roll in the mud, then do the dying cockroach. That's where you lay on your back with your arms and legs straight in the air. Then, pointing to the cockroaches they said, "These pu$$**s are why you're doing pushups. Now get down and knock them out." As the last few of us that could still manage a pushup were straining, this guy started the most blood curdling sadistic laugh like a witch. I realized he was really enjoying our pain.
    Two years later, I was walking out of a PX in Wurzburg, Germany and passed him walking in the other door. I stopped dead in my tracks, spun around and began to follow him. Then a light bulb went off in my head, I was getting out of the army and my hate for him wasn't worth spending the rest of my life in Mannheim prison.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    And yet, people who have actually been prisoners of war will most likely tell you that everybody breaks, it's merely a matter of when. Then the POW not only has to deal with the torments his captors have devised, he also has the feelings of guilt and shame for not being tough enough.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by