The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

excellent wound cleaning regimen

chlorhexidine took a long time to become available in hospitals in the usa but thank god it has

most humans having surgery should bath in chlorhexadine scrub the night before

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Yes, I like chlorhexidine. A friend of mine told me that it killed cells similar to hydrogen peroxide so I found her some literature that showed either no difference or improved wound healing using it. I am going to stick with it until I don't get results and then I will probably whip up some homegrown Dakins Solution (very dilute bleach) and switch to that.

For those of you looking for chlorhexidine, it's usually in the wound care section - look for brand name Hibiclens and then choose the generic right next to it [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Interesting reading about chlorhexidine from you medical types. I was not familiar with it. What is your more informed take on my procedure using betadine and campho phenique for wounds?

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Only since you asked will I chime in. I would/do recommend Betadine for wound scrubbing/disinfecting, but personally I would not recommend Campho-Phenique at this time only because I am unfamiliar with (if it is available) any data/studies on it and I'm extremely comfortable using what I use. But if it works for your purposes, I would never dissuade you from using it.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The main reason I use the Campho-Phenique is that we used it religiously growing up for minor wounds and insect bites. It worked wonders for tick and chigger bites to sooth the itching. Also, as an antiseptic, I figured it couldn't hurt. I haven't killed anyone yet.
    Maybe it's overkill.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I don't suspect you'll kill anyone with it when used topically - it's camphor and phenol - so that's part of why I said to continue to use it if it was working for you. If someone told me they were using something that was dangerous I would do my best to discourage it.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks.

8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    My grandmother used gasoline to get gum out of our hair.

9. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Goo Gone works just as well and smells lemony.....

I Guy locally was using Gasoline to remove linoleum--worked great until the fumes made it to the water heater pilot light.....[​IMG]

10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    That sort of thing can really light up your life![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by