The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I skin predators, grill them on the fire pit and feed them back to the chickens.

[​IMG]

I had trapped out vermin for a while and became lax about locking up. Hadn't lost a bird in a couple years. Then I lost 22 in short order. Mostly raccoons.

I think raccoons are everywhere except high elevation Rockies.

I love that.

Regarding your new workforce, my apprentice lost his phone and totaled his car so hasn't been here is weeks. Shame because he was a good worker. I was so jazzed that I would have a good productive garden AND get some of the house restoration done.

I need to plan on at least 3 apprentices next year. Maybe it's not too late to recruit for this year.

Larger and much easier to clean than squirrels.

dog proof leg traps are much more effective than live traps for those type predators with small paws.

Quote:
    I use those big thick rubber feed bowls for summer foot baths.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    You know, I am just amazed any of us oldtimers survived school with the teachers we had back when. We had funny ones I remember fondly and ones that were reportable...

One bio teacher was a funny one...he'd wear plaid suit coats and cords...grey beard and glasses...sort of a distinguished professor kind. Once I came to class and handed out gum to everyone...including him. We all got in our seats, pens poised to jot down notes...it was a lecture day. He's up at the front, at his desk and nothing...not a word. Finally he reaches in his mouth and removes the gum and simply states, "I can't lecture and chew gum at the same time!" Another time we are all writing furiously on a test and half an hour in, he loudly announces to everyone, "PENS DOWN!" Which we all do and I am thinking..."CRAP...not completed and gonna get a bad mark!" We sit there in silence looking at him expectantly and he begins giggling to himself..."I knew I had the POWER!" and then says, "OK....back to it!" [​IMG]

Loved one sub teacher--and man we would always give the subs the worst time ever...screw them over because we had a set of twins that looked the same and confuse the heck outta the subs by telling them the wrong names, or taking our wooden rulers and "air band" them on the desks...etc. annoying things 'cause we were down right jerks! The one sub we never bothered with much was the one for French 12...the real teacher was a very kewl lady but her sub, well she was basically shipped straight out from France so our culture was totally foreign to her. One time I had one heck of a head cold and I brought in red cough syrup in a bottle. Sat thru class sipping it so I would make it to the end of the day. Course when class was over, I got up to leave and she says to me in her heavy French accent, "Don't forget your Brandy!" "BRANDY! I can liberally and openly drink Brandy in French Class! RIGHT ON!" Beats the heck outta sneaking a beer in the bathrooms!
    [​IMG]

The Chem teacher was an idiot...for a quick visual on him...skinny man with flapping arms...he wore pink shirts and wooden clogs and his wife use to run his lunch in in a paper bag to the school, door would open a crack and PLOP would go his bagged lunch on the floor (never did see what she looked like). The main reason I never warmed up to him is he'd be writing out some Chemical formula and you are going along "yup, yup, yup!" and suddenly half way down the board he'd freak over a mistake he made earlier and rub out the formula some 1/3 of the way back...and I'd groan because I thought I had thought it was going along smoothly with me understanding the progression. I just gave up as I simply could not trust anything I was learning from him was going to be correct ten minutes later.

We had a teacher that would give warnings...he'd be standing at the blackboard writing and his ears would turn red... I would usually take cover immediately because he was a terrible shot...and that chalk would go flying...he also welded a mean yardstick too...yeh...only the stupid ones disobeyed his strict classes.

Another, a tall drink of water music teacher would do the "eyes on mine" thing...most bizarre ever...he'd have us line up outside the classroom, military style and march inside...bizarre man.

The worst one tho was a woman...my grade one teacher. Out in a portable which had a cloak room. She was freakishly psychotic...if she was wearing the blue or black dress...good...if it was the red or purple ones...icrumba! We were in for a day of crank!

There was a very poor boy in the class named Joey. Man alive I felt for that kid. He would show up to class in filthy clothes, shoes barely valid, and dirty hands. She would FREAK on him. Inspect his hands and because they were DIRTY--natch like the rest of him...she'd loudly announce him as "Joey NO SOAP" and banish him to the cloak room where he was told he was to stand and hold his hands out, straight out from his body until she came back and told him otherwise. I was too young to realize that behaviours like this from a teacher were to be reported and most of us were terrified beyond reproach over this Mrs. Logan. I truly hope she is dead now and in the hot place serving her sentence for what she did. Joey made it thru that year but his family moved away...I often wonder what ever happened to him...but man live...talk about kicking someone that was already down and out, eh?

This is an old running joke but totally sets the scene on differences I see now in schools.

[​IMG]

It was all because of another Bio Teacher that just retired recently that I ended up teaching Canine Colour genetics. He was an old style teacher with a keen mind. He loved Biology and it oozed from his pores. I did my presentation and then he invited me outside with the rest of the class to see this one student that had coloured in all the muscles on her real live trailered to school HORSE in the parking lot! He was always enabling people to go that extra mile and do something to the fullest extent of their abilities. He WAS A TEACHER!

I still laugh because Rick and I and the dogs went thru the A & W drive thru one time and the kid at the window called the dog on my lap by name...had been in one of the classes we had taught at. Could not remember MY name but knew the dog's! Not everyone learns thru the same methods...what makes a teacher awesome is one that realizes this and teaches in many methods so the students GET IT.

Supposedly there was 6 to 7 Stooges...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Stooges :
    The Bougainvillea is stunning! I am hoping to find a variety in RED without the thorns! Hee hee... [​IMG]

BOUGAINVILLEA - NEGATIVES...Thorns & toxic sap.

The accompanying photo to this page below...

Which makes me howl with laughter as it IS a doorway...yes?? Very pretty mind you...an attractant, inviting you in to what? Stab you with thorns and sap to make you break out in a rash.

[​IMG]
    GORGEOUS eh?

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/vine/bougainvillea/ :

1 person likes this.
  3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    The four remaining survivors are so jumpy now, they won't let me near them without a large panic attack. One has a flesh wound but I am nervous that it will hurt itself worse struggling when I catch it that I'm going to leave it alone today and clean it again tomorrow, instead.

I've got one of the "live" traps out there now in a cardboard box to better protect it from side action, and bf just built a weasel box.

4. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Open to other suggestions fer sure but for wounds, I clean first few times with peroxide (which foams up and dries the surface) and coat with honey (raw is best but any old kind will do) because bacteria don't grow in it (plus if it is a chicken and it passes, well you are half way there to making dinner--sorry, sicko humour, I stress in weirdo ways when dependents get harmed!). [​IMG]

I have also put Vit E on mammal wounds (that includes humans too) and this helps inhibit scar tissue. At work, Rick took off part of his thumb with an exacto knife (long story for another day...he was off to hospital fer stitches but the piece never took so it came off... etc., etc.)...we soaked his bandages in Vit E and you can't tell which thumb he trimmed! [​IMG]

I hope things settle down to a dull roar for you and the birds...sigh. [​IMG]

Tara

5. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Maybe try cannabis indica in ur flower pot.

Mo
    Rattlesnake ranch
    Cat chow and giggety giggety

6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I hope you catch the varmint and that your chick with the wound will heal quickly.

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Nothing in the trap, traps not even touched last night, and nothing on the game cam which was moved into the tractor so there was no visitor.

Will rebait tonight.

I generally clean wounds with saline and then scrub with chlorhexidine, then cover with triple antibiotic ointment and/or blue kote.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's a good approach. It's important to get it clean.

I just posted this yesterday on our local chicken site for a raccoon attack.
    "Keep her warm. Clean the wounds with saline solution, then rinse with betadine. Some Campho-Phenique will help too. It is an antiseptic and pain releiver.
    Finally use some triple antibiotic ointment. Use the eye type since it melts at body temperature and will get deep into the wound.
    Do this a couple times a day. Since it has been a couple days and healing has begun, don't use hydrogen peroxide since that will also destroy newly growing cells.
    HP is ok to use the first day and a good idea but after the first day, switch to betadine or any organic iodine. It will do the same thing but without the tissue damage."

Betadine is the treatment of choice for cockers around the globe.

While the OFH is on the subject of cannabis. We had a 3' tall plastic cannabis plant used for drug training in our artillery group headquarters. We stole it, took it to our illegal apartment and decorated it as our Christmas tree. It was Christmas after all.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Up until about 1995, the secretary in the local narcotics squad office had a "potted" plant on her desk. It was the division joke, until the Mayor came in one day and said, "Isn't that illegal?" Well, duh.........

10. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Welcome to BYC. None of us are empty nesters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by