The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

?..The returning like a bad check guinea, and the berries together, now that would be a different kind of jam.
    I wonder if it will be [​IMG] or [​IMG] ? Do let me know how it turns out.

Scott

2. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Should be picking berries here next week. Set back because of our really late spring and now weeks of rain. Lots of strawberry syrup and fresh berries soaking in maple syrup (much better than sugar) for shortcake and sunday pancakes!!! [​IMG]

Just in for a cool down break. reallly hot and humid but no rain till late in the day so I'm able to get a few things done.

Have sick hen. No clue. Fine yesterday a.m. then in afternoon hubby says I think something's wrong with her. i look and she had just laid an egg by our steps then just stood there. Never done that before but I thought ok, probably the heat. Her butt was a bit messy anyway so I decided to cool her down and clean her up at the same time and she got a bottom wash in the rain barrel. Later still acting "slow" and not interested in treats. This morning same way. came out of the coop but just found a place in the shade. Barely picked at a treat of mealworms. She was wormed, as they all were, with Valbazen, twice, at the end of April and a Butt dusting for crawlies with second treatment last week when I cleaned the coop. Oh well, if she doesn't perk up by tomorrow i may have to try some antibiotics. Unfortunately we don't have a poultry vet within a hundred miles or more of us. Other girls are all fine so far so at least it doesn't appear contagious at this point. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I got one batch of plain strawberry jam completed. I can't stop the pieces of strawberries from floating. Anyone good at this? It tastes the same once you open and stir the jar, it just looks terrible.

[​IMG]

And I've got the second batch "weeping" in the fridge for the next 18 hours or so... this one's strawberry vanilla bean.

[​IMG]

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Nice!

6. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    I have acres of dewberries. Those boogers are aggrivating to pick but delicious.

7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Your jam looks so good! Try turning your jars upside down till morning.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I had read that, too, but I'm nervous that's going to mess with the seals. I'd rather have safe canned goods than pretty ones that don't seal well. Have you tried that?

PS... here's a nice shot of Beeper camouflaging himself in my flock.
    [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Beeper? The guinea has a name now? Looks like somebody might be staying [​IMG]

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    He sounds like my pager going off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by