The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    That is a good old southern treat. If I had known that Bamadude had all of these pretty tomatoes I would have certainly stopped as I drove through Skipperville last Sunday.

2. Highcotton

Mar 18, 2013
    The Vidalia onions are sweet because the soil is low in sulphur or so I have read. It is the soil that makes them sweet The onions are Granex 33 variety. They are a short day onion. they are planted in December and gathered in May.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]
    Meet Arthur.

Just wet and blustery here, so far. Not expecting too much of a mess - the ice storms this past winter did a lot of "pruning."

This just in - that yellow patch in Brunswick county has just been tornado-warned (sometimes weak tornadoes form with landfalling hurricanes).

4. Highcotton

Mar 18, 2013
    I didn't know that Slocomb was famous for their tomatoes.

5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I'd really like to get a raised garden going in this old couch shell that I was using as a roost.

Anything that I can plant this late in the season? I'm in Oklahoma. Ag7

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's really not that late. I just transplanted some peppers, chilies and tomatoes yesterday and my season is shorter than yours. Theoretically you could even start a short season tomato like early girl from seed and get fruit by the middle of September.
    Limas, favas and snap beans and summer squash can still be planted.
    Herbs would be a good idea too. There's still time for basil, just harvest it all before frost or it will be ruined. Tarragon, chives, thyme, oregano, parsley, rosemary and sage are all hardy.
    Then planting for a fall crop you probably still have time for endive, celery and Brussels sprouts.
    I'm starting head lettuce next week; carrots, cabbage and broccoli the following week, leaf lettuce and cauliflower at the end of the month, spinach, peas and kale go in the middle of August. Spinach should overwinter nicely there.
    Leeks, shallots and garlic are good to put in now. Maybe wait a little on the garlic and overwinter it.

I sure wish my apprentice hadn't totaled his car or I'd have had a killer garden this year. I can still save all the seeds for next year.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

wow, CC! Thank you! Do you think covering it in the winter would work to prevent it from dying? It'll be in a raised bed so won't have the benefit of the earth for insulation.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I do all of my veggies in raised beds, except for asparagus, corn, melons, potatoes and herbs.

Things that can overwinter like garlic and spinach may not even need covering.
    A few winters ago I overwintered all my spinach, leaf lettuce and mesclun without doing anything. It had a pretty good snow cover most of the winter though.

There's a floating row cover that I use for cabbage moths but people use for frost protection you may want to check out. I discovered it while working in Costa Rica. They use it in the mountains to protect brassicas and lettuces from insects.

http://groworganic.com/organic-gard...right-floating-row-cover-for-plant-protection

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv201

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/[email protected]^PLA-device^c-adid^51483396398

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8418-a...NJmLjNdUQDSOEz8cMnFYtK3aDleRggn3gQaAsu78P8HAQ

10. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by