The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My Hens are still laying eggs even in the heat!

Good job Girls!

I collected these over the last couple of days:

[​IMG]

2. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I love Junk Yard Art!

[​IMG] Good one!

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Good Grief ron..you are getting the heat. Sorry. It's almost 10 p.m. here, and it's still 84 degrees. Supposed to hit 100 tomorrow. :/ My girls are also laying well, but I don't have enough hens to give me what you are getting!

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is now 9:10 and still 91 outside. We may get down to 68 tonight.

Chicken math says I only have 6 hens. I am very good at chicken math.

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    The heat was why we vacated Las Vegas after a decade of enduring that five-month season affectionately called "Hell." It wasn't uncommon to have it be 100 at midnight. I cannot live like mole people and only come out when it is dark. Now, mind you, New Mexico isn't a whole lot cooler. At least here the weather changes it up AND we have actual seasons! (I used to joke that the Las Vegas color of greenery was sage and in the summer dusty sage)

Anyway, DH and I had a good laugh the other day when we ventured up to Santa Fe. It was all of 85 degrees out and people were fanning themselves at the bus stop because of the heatwave! (85 is a nice Spring day in LV)

I feel for y'all that are enduring a string of triple digits...and especially for those already afflicted with your own personal tropical summer via hormones. I found that a damp rag kept in the fridge or freezer and then draped around the neck made life bearable if you had to go outdoors (and not be dressed up for biz).

Ron: I'm interested in heat-hardy birds. What's the temperament and egg size like on the Pene's? Minorcas are a big seller at our local feedstore. I'm interested in something that will lay a large white egg or dark brown eggs, endure heat and not be idiot-flighty. If they can be sex-linked, Nirvana!

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Partridge and Crele Penes are 85 to 90 percent auto sexing. They lay large dark brown eggs. The Dark eggs in the egg picture are mostly Penedesenca eggs. I have one Black, One Wheaten and Three partridge Penes that are laying eggs now. It is getting pretty far into the egg laying cycle so the color is a bit lighter now.

The Penes are not very flighty. I pick up the Rooster each afternoon and carry him out to the breeding pen. He jumps up into my glove and goes right out with me. The Arkansas Blues are a bit more flighty but they are heat hardy and lay very nice blue eggs.

Partridge Penes are at the top of the heat hardy list. They have big combs but they can do fine in the cold. Chicken canoe has Black Penes and had a very cold winter this year.

7. I would love to trade you!

It's 10:20 pm right now and it is 92 degrees out there. I'm hoping it cools down a lot more before I have to turn off the cooler.

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Wow I love the colors of those eggs and lots of them.

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine

It's not so much hot here as it is humid. Feels like the water is just dripping off everything and it's only 6 am.

I just started sewing about a year and a half ago. Couldn't even sew on a button prior to that. If any of you want to learn, take a class. Or fiddle around with a cheap machine (after you've been taught how to use it).

I'm afraid I can't post the pillowcases I made yesterday (one of them might have been inappropriate for BYC and I didn't take a photo of them separately). But I'll post some other recently completed projects.

I'm still not good at bias tape (see the green edge?):
    [​IMG]

Made a quilted sewing machine cover:
    [​IMG]

Four other pillowcases I made, all bird-themed (and approved by Sophie):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by