The Old Folks Home

Grrrrr..... I went out on (non-BYC on-line auction site) and coordinated my dream flock of eggs. Four different breeds, four different sellers; the same delivery date (8/8). One came early (yesterday), one came on time (today), and one is across town in the main postal center and so will be here tomorrow....and I inquired of the fourth seller about a tracking number. To which they replied (today) that the hens went broody and they should all lay tomorrow or the next day, and so they hadn't even been packed, much less sent!

Why post you have something for sale and a delivery date when you haven't the ability to provide neither?

Thank goodness for the other three Sellers as I've been calibrating my incubator all week. The added bonus to this is the three that did deliver are all sex-linked, so dream flock will have no waiting for grow out.
On occaision I have had up to 14 different egg shipments for my travels - all needing to arrive at the same time.

I always contact the seller to ensure that they will be able to ship on a particular day with eggs no older than three days.

For the most part it works. I have only had to leave two shipments out of over a hundred in the mail system.

@chickisoup Yay! Congrats. You never said if they biopsied the mass on Angel's head, could it just have been some sort of allergic reaction to something? Perhaps a snake or insect bite? Anyway, I'm glad she's okay. And good news about your condition too. They say bad things come in three, but why couldn't the same go for good things too? Hopefully your husband's brother's surgery will be a breeze too.
Trouble may come in 3's, vehve, but blessings come in showers!

Grrrrr..... I went out on (non-BYC on-line auction site) and coordinated my dream flock of eggs. Four different breeds, four different sellers; the same delivery date (8/8). One came early (yesterday), one came on time (today), and one is across town in the main postal center and so will be here tomorrow....and I inquired of the fourth seller about a tracking number. To which they replied (today) that the hens went broody and they should all lay tomorrow or the next day, and so they hadn't even been packed, much less sent!

Why post you have something for sale and a delivery date when you haven't the ability to provide neither?

Thank goodness for the other three Sellers as I've been calibrating my incubator all week. The added bonus to this is the three that did deliver are all sex-linked, so dream flock will have no waiting for grow out.
staggered hatches can work fine.
I set eggs every 3 or 4 days (when I'm not stupid)

@chickisoup Yay! Congrats. You never said if they biopsied the mass on Angel's head, could it just have been some sort of allergic reaction to something? Perhaps a snake or insect bite? Anyway, I'm glad she's okay. And good news about your condition too. They say bad things come in three, but why couldn't the same go for good things too? Hopefully your husband's brother's surgery will be a breeze too.

@ChickenCanoe I agree with the birth defect idea, if it hadn't even pipped internally at that that point, I doubt it wouldn't. There's a reason for that usually. Most people don't know this, but with human pregnancies, only about 50% make it. Most end even before the person carrying the fetus is aware of it. Nature has a pretty good system for working out what gene combinations don't work. And better to lose a chick early, than to have it waste away later due to a birth defect.

The eggtopsies can be a bit nasty. We did one on a day 14 quitter. It was fascinating and disturbing at the same time. I won't post pictures, but the head was mostly fully formed eye, and the body was still really tiny. It's weird how a fetus develops. Another interesting thing is comparing the fetuses of different species. It's really tough to tell them apart during the first half of development.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I've had a lot of broodies over the years which probably hatched half of my chickens and even though I have a LG, I hatch most in a behemoth of a homemade incubator hatcher combo. The basis of it was a shelving unit my son was throwing away. I've been tweaking it for a couple of years since I got approval from the city to keep chickens.

Most members on here probably have u blocked already. So nobody is annoyed because ur posts dont show up on their page.
Chicki_soup that is great news!!!!
bamadude, thank you for reminding me about this. Things are now blessedly quiet for me. It works like a charm.
wee.gif

Quote:
Most members on here probably have u blocked already. So nobody is annoyed because ur posts dont show up on their page.
Chicki_soup that is great news!!!!
bamadude, thank you for reminding me about this. Things are now blessedly quiet for me. It works like a charm.
wee.gif
I think it was bedtime already. Or then something else happened.

LOL. Stealth coop... I just sort of had a mental picture of a shed painted in camouflage.

Do the roosters wear silencers?

Or, I suppose, you could just add it to a row of coops and hope somebody doesn't count very well.
Nah, I am gonna hide it behind a fence. I think I can get 'er done!
lol.png

How about a tractor...err truck.

Back
Top Bottom