The Old Folks Home

I was looking at your photos but it wouldn't let me leave a comment. I wanted to warn you that the building in back, looks like it will topple at any minute. Whew, glad you and Karin are OKAY. BTW Karin is very attractive and young, sorry I can't see you well except you are tall & slim - good combination.
Karin said that clearly you are very observant and wise
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh Chicka, I am so sorry.

Keep up what you are doing, keep him in a dark, comfortable place that is not too hot or too cold. If you are going to keep him wrapped up, keep him inside where it is cool. Water, vitamins, sugar, protein if possible, rest, quiet, calm - these are the things that will help most. Keep him away from the others and keep an eye out for any signs of illness in the rest of the flock.

Good luck, Hon', keep us posted.

Quote: Yeah, I'm not expecting her to start laying immediately, I just want her out of the nest so she doesn't teach the others bad manners. Wilma the Marans made accidentally laid an egg on the lawn earlier, and a few hours later she was sitting in the nest, I hope she was just confused about the laying. With my luck, she's experimenting with broodiness too.
My splash maran finally laid an egg after being broody. When it began, I thought, "alright, let her have a go at it," but neither of the eggs she sat on hatched after 21+ days so out she was put. But she insisted on sitting on any and all eggs laid so I kept putting her out til she finally got the message....maybe three weeks with no eggs from her. My little bantam mama with month old chicks is laying again. She is a tiny thing and was mated by a standard (Japanese Phoenix, gorgeous bird,) so it will be fun to see what the resulting chickens will be like. Right now there is a gold, a white and a brown and she has done an excellent job of raising them and protecting them from the big guys.

Oh Chicka, I am so sorry.

Keep up what you are doing, keep him in a dark, comfortable place that is not too hot or too cold. If you are going to keep him wrapped up, keep him inside where it is cool. Water, vitamins, sugar, protein if possible, rest, quiet, calm - these are the things that will help most. Keep him away from the others and keep an eye out for any signs of illness in the rest of the flock.

Good luck, Hon', keep us posted.
Thanks Wisher. He is in the house with me in the AC and he is wrapped in a towel because I had to wash the poo off of him.
I have DH going to TSC to get some things for me to try to help including some vitamins. I just hate this, I wanted some EE's so bad and I went and got 6 and now 5 are little cockerels so I will only have one pullet but I don't want to lose him this way!
Thanks

Quote:
I shall tell Karin you said so, and then she will say "pfft"
tongue.png
. I tend to not photograph well when I'm aware of the camera. 1.) I still haven't learned to look natural.

Tall I might be, and a bit slim at the moment, but I would need to find a pleasant way of building upper body musculature. I've gone down from 211lbs to 182lbs since Christmas, and I'm starting to look like a junkie soon. 2.) The coop build was a good project, but now I haven't had to do any heavy lifting in a while and it's starting to show again.
1. Maybe that IS you, looking natural! I have a friend that always has a mean look on his face. He rarely smiles, but is actually friendly and pleasant. Whenever someone says, "Smile, Donny" he says, in a deadpan manner, "I am smiling." It's really funny.

2. Looks like you need to build another coop! I realize you do not have room for another one at your place, so I am offering my services to your time of need. Not only will I put you and Karin up when you come to the States, but I will let you "finnish" my breeder barn and even build another coop from scratch! That's just how awesome I am!
I tend to smile quite a lot normally, and usually people don't ask me if I need some prunejuice or something, but in photos I look constipated all the time.

Now that is a sweet offer Wisher. Now if you'll just organize someone to care for our dogs and chickens, and get us free tickets, we can fly right on over.
Awwww, you're a cutie putootie", as Rosie O'Donald would say! Slim is good, slim is healthy. Unfortunately, muscle only forms with real work, so try to find a sport or physical activity you can actually enjoy and get into, preferably with your lady, and do it regularly.

Awwww, you're a cutie putootie", as Rosie O'Donald would say! Slim is good, slim is healthy. Unfortunately, muscle only forms with real work, so try to find a sport or physical activity you can actually enjoy and get into, preferably with your lady, and do it regularly.
I do all kinds of endurance maintaining stuff, the problem is that for me to maintain upper body muscle I would need to go to the gym - something I utterly hate. Climbing would work too, but the closest decent wall is 20km away. Kayaking would be another good one, but that costs a bit, and is only doable in summer. Maybe we'll get a lot of snow this winter and I can keep the yard cleared - that would serve a purpose as well as help build muscle.

DH and I have been talking a lot about depression and substance abuse. DH suffers a tad from it and attributes it to his chronic pot use in his youth...probably rewired his synapses. Funny thing, now he's an addiction counselor....who's dabbling in making hard cider. Robin Williams owned an estate up in Napa which, ironically, grew wine grapes. You can never quite escape your vices. It's almost like a double dog dare on the reality of one's weaknesses. And whereas you might be able to master the addiction part, it is extremely hard to shake the darkness if depression takes over. It really clouds your thinking. Heck, it becomes the focal point of your thinking upon which every aspect of your life pivots.

What's not readily being mentioned besides the addiction problems is that Robin underwent a double bypass heart surgery, which in many, many folks triggers depression. (Not from having the surgery, but something about this particular procedure has folks prone to extreme depression vs. other invasive surgical procedures). Add to that that a goodly number of comedians gravitate to depression....the comedy is a coping mechanism for dealing with Life's perversities and unfairness.

I'm just profoundly sad that someone with such a gift to make folks laugh is gone in such a manner.
"The brightest light seems to come from extreme darkness."

Back
Top Bottom