The Old Folks Home

I did odd, and end things around the house on Friday. I did NOTHING yesterday. I rested. I needed it. Today, I have to take care of chickens in a bit, then shower, and head into town for some groceries. MIL sent her usual Omaha Steak bundle that they have for Christmas. I still have most of them left over from last year. I used to love them, but about 3 years ago, the texture, flavor, and everything about their steaks, changed. Not the high quality like before. I need to find a nice way to tell her to change to something else.

Maybe donate them to a soup kitchen. And hint around Thanksgiving you need something different.
I did odd, and end things around the house on Friday. I did NOTHING yesterday. I rested. I needed it. Today, I have to take care of chickens in a bit, then shower, and head into town for some groceries. MIL sent her usual Omaha Steak bundle that they have for Christmas. I still have most of them left over from last year. I used to love them, but about 3 years ago, the texture, flavor, and everything about their steaks, changed. Not the high quality like before. I need to find a nice way to tell her to change to something else.

Don't hint around just tell her. You very much appreciate the gift, but this year the quality was lacking. You did some research online and discovered you weren't the only one with this complaint and again, while you really appreciate it, you had to let her know so she didn't waste her money on it next year.

Problem solved. If you want, suggest she purchase you X instead.

Almost had a crisis, here. I had 2 bowls of bread dough on the counter, rising. One was pretty much plain, except I added some vanilla beans to it. The other I added a clove of garlic and some italian seasoning. I went to roll out the italian one, to get it ready for the oven, then I'd work on the regular one and spread cinnamon sugar mix in it after rolling.

I got the loaves mixed up.

Luckily I caught it right before I added the cinnamon sugar mix to the Italian loaf.

property? moving?

Looking at some investment property, so checking out several little pied-de-terre units to rent out when we aren't weekending. Santa Fe is a hotspot right now for tourism. Prices are insane per square foot to buy, but the rental market is good if you have a place.
All work on the farm and no play makes for grumpy old folks. It's 45 minutes and a world away from where we are now.
I am certifiably insane to take on yet another project.

@ronott1

Can't find your cinnamon roll or regular (not sourdough, I don't have starter) roll/biscuit recipe. I'm a failure at life.

Please help.

I did manage to find my Gump Girl bread recipe, so I started that with one loaf being italian and the other going to end up cinnamon sugar.
Enjoy!

Cinnamon Rolls (caramel rolls)

1 C milk
4 to 4½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
¼ C butter or margarine, melted
2 pck yeast
½ C sugar (for cinnamon sugar)
1/3 C butter or margarine
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
3 C chopped Pecans
¼ C Butter
½ C sugar
2 tbl Corn Syrup(honey)
2/3 C packed brown sugar

In a small pan, combine milk, ½ cup of sugar, salt, and the1/3 cup of butter. Heat, stirring, to about 110º butter need not melt completely).

Measure yeast into a large bowl, Add milk mixture. Gradually mix in 2½ cups of the flour, and then beat for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, and then gradually beat in enough of the remaining flour (about 1½ cups) to make stiff dough.

Turn dough out onto a floured board; knead until smooth and satiny (10 to 20 minutes), adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about1 to 2 hours).

Punch dough down. Kneed briefly on a lightly floured board to release air; let rest for 10 minutes. Then roll and stretch dough into an 18 by 24-inch rectangle. Brush evenly with the ¼ cup melted butter.

Combine the remaining ½cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over butter. Starting with a narrow side, roll up jellyroll fashion. Moisten edge of dough with water and pinch it snugly against roll to seal. With a sharp knife, cut roll into 1 inch slices, Pour caramel mixture (see below) into pan, sprinkle pecans over caramel and arrange slices in pan. Cover; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 1½ hours).

Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350º oven (325º for a glass pan) for 30 to 35 minutes or until well browned. Immediately invert onto a serving tray. Rolls will be very hot; let cool slightly before serving. Makes 12 to 15 rolls.
Caramel Mixture:

After dough has been punched down and while it is resting for 10 minutes, in a small saucepan combine 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, ¼C butter or margarine, and 2 tbl corn syrup. Heat and stir over medium heat till combined

As Overnight Rolls:

Prepare as above. After rolls are In pan, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.

Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and place in an oven that is turned off. Fill a shallow pan 2/3-full of boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close the oven door and let the rolls rise until they look slightly puffy; approximately 30 minutes. Remove the rolls and the shallow pan of water from the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

When the oven is ready, place the rolls on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, approximately 30 minutes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Rolls Small Batch

4-5 cups flour 3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt 2 Pck. yeast
1 cup milk ½cup water
¼cup margarine 1 egg

Combine milk, water and butter in saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (110º); butter does not need to melt.

Transfer liquid mixture to a large bowl and sprinkle yeast over and let soften for a couple of minutes. Stir to dissolve the yeast (I use a whisk for this). Add 2 cups of the flour, salt and sugar and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add remaining flour until you have a stiff dough and then kneed until dough is smooth and elastic (3-8 minutes).

Cover and let raise about one hour. punch down and kneed until smooth. At this point, you can make several different types of rolls.

Curlicues: Divide dough in half and roll each to a 12x9 rectangle. Cut 12 equal strips about 1-inch wide. Roll each strip tightly to form a coil, tucking ends underneath. Place on greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.

cloverleaf: Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place in greased muffin pan. with scissors, cut each ball in half, then quarters.

Triplets: Pinch off ball big enough, when combined with three balls, to fill a muffin hole to the top. Continue until you have filled up 12 muffin pans.

Let raise one hour and then bake.

bake at 400 for 15 to 20 min. yield: 2 dozen rolls

Back
Top Bottom