The Old Folks Home

:bow :bow @ronott1 soooooo

I asked before I left Alaska how I could use my phone without spending more money. ...

My mom is spending $10 a day for unlimited WiFi and phone calls and texts.... I thought that I could just use HER WiFi and spend zero.

Lady at the AT&T place, said just take out your sim card once you are in Germany, and your phone will be able to call and text through your mom's wifi. hahaha not :he

so... I arrive in Germany (sim card still in place ) and it will NOT text my mom... I tried to send a text... Circle of doom. My phone said that it had lots of cell phone connection.

A military person from Alaska right next to me had not paid for Europe coverage... but THEIR phone still worked.

OK... now at friend's house outside of Frankfurt. ... on their Internet I can get in BYC... but still can't text. ... but now I have the sim card out.

I dunno..... :barnie

Any pointers?

:bow :bow @ronott1 soooooo

I asked before I left Alaska how I could use my phone without spending more money. ...

My mom is spending $10 a day for unlimited WiFi and phone calls and texts.... I thought that I could just use HER WiFi and spend zero.

Lady at the AT&T place, said just take out your sim card once you are in Germany, and your phone will be able to call and text through your mom's wifi. hahaha not :he

so... I arrive in Germany (sim card still in place ) and it will NOT text my mom... I tried to send a text... Circle of doom. My phone said that it had lots of cell phone connection.

A military person from Alaska right next to me had not paid for Europe coverage... but THEIR phone still worked.

OK... now at friend's house outside of Frankfurt. ... on their Internet I can get in BYC... but still can't text. ... but now I have the sim card out.

I dunno..... :barnie

Any pointers?
Text messages work over the phones cellular connection. You can send emails while connected to a network wireless connection much more easily. It looks like ATT can do text over wifi in the US but I do not know if it can be done from Germany.

When my DW was in Israel, she did not send text message because it was very expensive even with an international plan turned on.

See if you can turn on wifi calling in the settings. If so, you will be able to send texts. If not, try email, facebook or google messenger

Beets - had them once. BF cut the skins off, cut into chunks, stuck in an iron skillet. Drizzled with olive oil (or butter), and some salt and pepper and probably some kind of herbal something or other and roasted in oven it until soft. They were delicious.

Had a sad day today, another favorite hen died. My original flock, that will be 8 in April, are really dropping like flies. Tonya Harding died in October, and FatOne died tonight. Both were my only "lap chickens" that loved to jump in my lap and be petted.

But, I do firmly believe in the power of friendship and doing nice things for people, randomly. Today I was the recipient of one of those nice things. I got an anonymous package today in the mailbox. I opened it up to find a black box that was covered in tape and had "do you like surprises?" written on it.

Not sure any of you remember, but dad used to send me the craziest packages with multiple layers of challenge to reach the gooey center. He'd gorilla glue things shut, use a ton of tape... once even used metal flashing to "protect" the package. Once he blow dried a drug vial opening and put a coin in the freezer to get the coin into the the vial so I couldn't get it out (he actually measured the vial top and called a collectible coin seller to have him measure his coins and purchased the one that was a few millimeters bigger than the opening for his trick to work).

Anyway, this package rivaled my fathers. There was layer upon layer of intrigue and booby traps. He would have be so proud.

There was one point I almost gave up. I thought for sure the surprise had to be comb honey that had exploded...

26913658_1535357433185479_1254410367_n.jpg

I set it aside for 30 minutes. Once I realized that sending me comb honey didnt make sense, I inspected closer and I noticed that the honey only appeared to be in the outside bag, not in the inner sanctum.

Strong work, anonymous friend. Strong work, indeed.

After battling the sticky goodness, I had a few more tape and plastic layers to beat before revealing my surprise.

26981513_1535383846516171_1948620850_o.jpg

A very sweet, thoughtful (and sticky!) gift, from a very sweet friend.

Thank you, friend. Your rock is so much more comforting than you could have known.

AW SCG, must have been someone who knows you well and your father's tricks. I would have been afraid something bad was waiting for me in such a package.

I think AL was going to a family wedding? My guess any way.
Hmmm, maybe mentioned in a thread I didn't see. Must be important for Al to get on a plane and go that far, I gather travel and being around a lot of people is quite undesirable.

Back
Top Bottom