The Old Folks Home

While I doubt we will ever get another dog, we have considered it. I do look at the ads for them. So many of them are genetically tested now, and certified to be free of a multitude of diseases. While I don't know whether MD is included in the current testing, it may be, or it may be something that could be included in future testing.

I know that with so many good breeders having the testing done, and offering the results to the future owners, it has raised the standard. It's done a lot to reduce the puppy mill, and inferior backyard breeders from dumping a lot of potentially unhealthy dogs on people at high prices, as if they were good dogs.

The strange thing about DM is that the gene can be recessive or dominate. If both parents carry the recessive gene the resulting pups have a higher risk of the gene becoming dominate. One recessive gene is still at risk but at a lower rate of occurrence, if any at all. But if bred to a resistant gene dog or even a dominant gene dog, those puppies will all be at risk of developing the disease.

Last night I looked at legitimate ACD breeders websites in Missouri. The ones I looked at didn't mention testing for DM. They had certified hips and knees and shoulders but no genetic testing.

This disease is ALS in humans. Which is why Mizzou is working with other researchers.

Penny, there are so many Amish puppy mills around here it would make you weep. There are no people less prepared to do this than they are. All they do is get a girl dog and a boy dog the same species and let them have a litter twice a year. They are nothing more than livestock to them. The state is cracking down on them, forcing them to have inspections, etc, but the whole thing is just heartbreaking.

On a note much happier than puppy mills and degenerative diseases in humans and pets... all animals alike, I sit here with a warming meal I haven't had in decades and am enjoying it immensely. I bought a box of cream of wheat and made up a small pan for lunch. With a little sugar and some milk added, it is delish! I never cared for it with fruit or nuts added. Just a little sugar and milk is fine by me! :drool Since a single serving is supposed to supply 50% of your daily iron requirement, I made a double/triple serving for my meal :D

While grocery shopping, I also took the first step toward "attempting" my own "bread products" I bought a jar of Fleishmans dry yeast, and a 5lb pkg of both unbleached bread flour and unbleached AP flour. I looked for unbleached self rising flour, but there was none... Perhaps it doesn't exist? :confused: Perhaps it's not needed? I already have a container of generic bleached AP flour. Now all I have to do is work up the actual "get to it" to attempt it.

I checked at wally world while there for bread cooking plates/covers. I have an old cast iron dutch oven that I used camping/hunting... Thinking I'm gonna have to go get that and bring it in and use it. So, @ronott1 or any of the other experienced/fabulous bread bakers out there... Should I preheat the dutch oven before placing the dough in the center, then stick back in the oven? What temp to preheat? what temp to bake at? How long? I'm at about 300' above sea level so altitude isn't a factor.

After (if) succeeding at bread, my next trick will be to build a time machine! ;):lau

Ahhhhhh. @Latestarter has drank of the home made bread Kool Aid! You need to get some of @ronott1's sourdough starter.

I'm getting steady shipments from Joann Fabric. DH is finding it amusing. Made myself a fleece shawl last night, back to making throw covers tonight.

Laid down and took a nap. Had a crash and burn from the weekly Methotrexate I think. Starting to feel better. Planning to make pizza for dinner tonight. DH asked me if I should eat the red pizza sauce. Told him probably not but I am going to eat it anyway. Think I'll make a sausage and cheese for him and a barbecue chicken for myself with spinach and mushroom! Have to get those veggies in, LOL!

On a note much happier than puppy mills and degenerative diseases in humans and pets... all animals alike, I sit here with a warming meal I haven't had in decades and am enjoying it immensely. I bought a box of cream of wheat and made up a small pan for lunch. With a little sugar and some milk added, it is delish! I never cared for it with fruit or nuts added. Just a little sugar and milk is fine by me! :drool Since a single serving is supposed to supply 50% of your daily iron requirement, I made a double/triple serving for my meal :D

While grocery shopping, I also took the first step toward "attempting" my own "bread products" I bought a jar of Fleishmans dry yeast, and a 5lb pkg of both unbleached bread flour and unbleached AP flour. I looked for unbleached self rising flour, but there was none... Perhaps it doesn't exist? :confused: Perhaps it's not needed? I already have a container of generic bleached AP flour. Now all I have to do is work up the actual "get to it" to attempt it.

I checked at wally world while there for bread cooking plates/covers. I have an old cast iron dutch oven that I used camping/hunting... Thinking I'm gonna have to go get that and bring it in and use it. So, @ronott1 or any of the other experienced/fabulous bread bakers out there... Should I preheat the dutch oven before placing the dough in the center, then stick back in the oven? What temp to preheat? what temp to bake at? How long? I'm at about 300' above sea level so altitude isn't a factor.

After (if) succeeding at bread, my next trick will be to build a time machine! ;):lau

300 feet above sea level will not change the bread. If over 7000 ft. you would add less yeast.

Penny gave the correct temperature and time for porcelain dutch oven usage in baking bread. you can go to 450 for the bread but time will be less and corn meal should be added to the bottom of the pan.

Lofty food there @Latestarter I actually use bread pans for all my bread but you are on the right track with dutch oven if you go that way, although I know ours are porcelain lined bake at 400 20 to 30 minutes internal temp should be 195 to 205 when done

Ahhhhhh. @Latestarter has drank of the home made bread Kool Aid! You need to get some of @ronott1's sourdough starter.

I'm getting steady shipments from Joann Fabric. DH is finding it amusing. Made myself a fleece shawl last night, back to making throw covers tonight.

Laid down and took a nap. Had a crash and burn from the weekly Methotrexate I think. Starting to feel better. Planning to make pizza for dinner tonight. DH asked me if I should eat the red pizza sauce. Told him probably not but I am going to eat it anyway. Think I'll make a sausage and cheese for him and a barbecue chicken for myself with spinach and mushroom! Have to get those veggies in, LOL!

I love sourdough! :wee

and I mail our starts for free. Send a pm with a shipping address

Back
Top Bottom