The Old Folks Home

Heel low:

Raining off and on still but June is not over now is it?

Weather report is for warmer (27C so about 80F) without showers later this week...we shall see!

Trimmed a Thunderchild flowering crabapple and took the trimmings to see if I can root them. Love to have a shelterbelt row of these. T'would be awesome!

Some more spectacular flowers...we don't actually get a spring or a real fall...it is like BANG...game is on and all things happen at once, not a slow progression of one season to phase to another.'

Blink and you'll miss something!

Been laughing at my savage Booted Bantams...two of the girls have gone setty and man alive...poofed up like tea cosies and out for blood...bite bite bite and lunge when I collect eggs up.
barnie.gif

Ow Ow Ow...Attack chickens...BEWARE stealing any eggers!
hide.gif

Another neat 'shroom for CC...really pretty colour...I thought at first, "What is it?" because of the shape and colour...
cool.png

Get artsy fartsy...son bought me a gift certificate with a craft store at Christmas and getting to that.

Which I painted into these...they l00k like the buildings that Rick built....bwa ha ha

Then I took terra cotta pots and some premade stencils and stenciled in herb plant names (yeh, found me some stencil brushes to buy!)...

Rick had salvaged this two part wire "thingmajig" from the dump...be warned...in the country you gotta be careful...cause sometimes you take a load there to dump and come home with a load to replace it...hee hee hee! I think this would gross out most city dwellers (maybe?) but to country folks--another person's JUNK is another's TREASURE! LMBO Bring out yer junk....eep!
he.gif

He took the wire and painted one red and the t'other white...and I noted the roundy loops that screamed "put something IN there!" So I thought, one day and some day (which was now), was gonna do up something nifty. And uh yeh, well...my son enabled me to buy the eight pots (and one spare in case I blunder and break one!) and do some funky artsy craft silliness.

Voila...and tada...

Clay pots all sittin' in a row and ready to be placed in their spot​

My herb garden out in the orchard...pretty swanky (or tacky...pending who you ask!).​

I show Rick these pics and he grins and giggles...

"Now them country kids are gonna sure love using their bb gun on those!"
tongue.png

He is such a bugger & no matter, if someone dares to shoot a few, well them stencils I bought with the kid's gift certif....the are RE-useable and well moi, I can always sit a bit and repaint new ones.

The red arrow like center wire piece is a Mother's Day present from my Hero some ten years back. Ladies, visualize this great big burly guy in a lineup at the grocery, with this wire contraction tucked under his arm! I have a friend who says this all the time..."I am SO loved!"
big_smile.png

Now I did up my crafty crapolas and thought...I got that pile of wood and such that has been air drying for 16 years...the Cabin needs a sign...

So I picked out a trimming off the Dolgo crabapple (the one that blooms up so fab each year and I take a pic with dogs under it) and sat and faced it up for lettering on.

Use a draw knife to get the bark off and make up a nice smooth surface to carve lettering upon.

A few more rainy or "me tired" times and I'll have her done....done like dinner...

Speaking of which...cheater meal last night...tired and hungry...typical state of affairs.

Decided to make spaghetti...cheater style...not the tomato spaghets...but the cream of mush cheater type.

Get water and a dash of oil boiling on the stove...when boiling, add spaghetti.

Meanwhile, you are slicing and dicing...and cooking up the sauce to go with it.
celebrate.gif

Dice up celery center, some mushrooms (optional), an onion or two.

Put in a pound of ground (from beef to venison...yer choice!) and the celery, onion, and mushrooms and on medium heat, get her cooking up--saute not flambe.
hmm.png

Brown burger and then drain off fat.

When celery and onion look cooked (onions go clear), add two cans of cream of mushroom soup and pan size allowing, two cans of milk (or one), and simmer off extra liquid. Keep moving it around and make sure she don't stick or burn. I use cast iron fry pan and this cleans up nice too.

When spaghetti is cooked, drain and serve spaghetti with sauce and some grated parmesan cheese on top. Rib sticker and all done in about a half hour...as to the leftovers...you take the extra drained spaghetti and re-cover it with water, store in a deep bowl in the fridge with extra bowl containing the sauce for a nice "leftover" lunch (or even supper if yer not home) the next day.

Quick and slick meal that sure does fill the gullet!
lol.png

Back in the day when affording food was a real challenge (like being old, work hard yer whole life and you should hope to be more comfy in yer golden years!), Rick would cook up a big pot of rice and then cool it. He would manage to afford some hamburger and maybe a tin of sliced mushrooms (or not!) and he would brown the burger adding the mushrooms and then draining the fat off. Then in a large wok, cook up the rice with the hamburger. Sounds plain but really is quite good and it FEEDS you and it keeps well as leftovers...done out of necessity and good for you too. As oldsters, we eat very lavish now but it was not always that way...could not afford a lot but with a bit of know how and work, you could still put on a decent meal and not break the budget doing so.

I finished making pea soup yesterday (like a two day process)...day prior I soaked split peas all day and drained off the water and rinsed them. Same day, I boiled up a ham bone, bay leaf and seasonings (I like Montreal steak spice). Let it simmer all day topping up with water as needed. Next day drain off hambone stock and add split peas to the soup stock with various veg...celery, onion, corn, red pepper, and some diced ham. Boiled that all day and re-adding water as required. Easy meal, using up leftovers from a ham dinner. Waste not, want not!
wink.png

So Bamadude...Waz in a name?...mine is straight forward to me...

Canuck Bock - Canuck = Canadian, Canada is where I choose to live...Canada the "village," the true north strong and free AND the word "Bock" rhymes nicely with Canuck and the "BOCK" is a sound I associate with chickens making. Happy chicken sounds...Sing Brightly HAPPY chicken sounds.

Name translated to "Canadian Chicken" - there is only one recognized chicken breed made originally here in Canada. There have been lots of "breeds" made in Canada, but only one that is recognized officially and included in the Standards of Perfection.

My only standard sized chicken breed is the Chantecler which is literally to me the "Canuck Bock" and to us, the one and only!

I've referred to the Chantecler as the Canuck Bock for years now...it is a handle I've used often for the breed--normally I just use HigginsRAT as a handle for me but thought since I joined BYC to be part of the Chantecler thread, a handle about the breed was appropriate.

Now I had to warm up to the breed initially and I most certainly did fight getting the breed...laughed as I had a longstanding friend that kept ranting on and on about the Chantecler and finally I did give in and tried the breed...but not to the boring White variety of the originals but to the Buffs and the Partridges (two of the most difficult colour patterns) and made my own Red variety by crossing the buff x partis.

It took me forever to accept the cushion comb, especially on the roos as they look snake like and kinda stoopid MISSING their crowning glory big serrated combs like Foghorn Leghorn's! LOL Now I do keep rose and pea comb breeds in the bantams but combining both to make the Cushion...to me that was pure genius!
smile.png

Red Chanteclers​

The Chants have an evil gleam to their facial characteristics along with that tough exterior and complimentary attitude to boot too. And that 45 degree slant to the back of the head only enhances the funny yet unique combination of traits they have like the dewlap on their throats, transverse groove in the top 1/3 of the comb, and the breast ridge. What I cannot deny is their practical productiveness for people that reside in hot and cold climates (extremes)...their tenacious attitudes and endearing ways for us at least made them a must have when we began thinking about self sufficiency...got serious about should things go bad, we'd have meat and eggs of our to consume.

I think it so kewl that there are so many breeds in poultry that we can match our own preferences to the traits available and all come out winners because of this.

Long live diversity and different strokes for different folks!
love.gif

Heard some interesting stats...computers and technology...and the general public wonders why people are on anti-depressants, feel a lack of value/accomplishments, having heart attacks at 25, and are all messed up in the head...GET REAL already! Get off the brain sucking techno zombie addictions and go outside and play with the chickens already! LOL

At one time people acknowledged the addictive qualities of technology...now they don't say a peep...hee hee...well here yah go.

The AVERAGE person checks their phone 100 times a day (funny, and I own NO phone period past a land line--What do I need to be gotten ahold of for...worse than pagers, beepers...I use technology to serve MY needs, I don't SERVE it! Blah!), average person checks by logging on to Faceboob 14 times (I refuse to use Mug Mag...get real!) a day, and each person on Earth has watched one hour of YouStupidTubes per year (I refuse also to do this....I don't DO videos and won't pay for that kind of data usage thanks--I got me TV and films/movies...good enough!). Yeh...brains in big test tubes, no body, no realness, and heaven help you that you go OUTSIDE and stay for any amount of time in the real living world, eh?

So on that note...coffee's done and I'm gone again...gone to mess with dem bird birds that keep me REAL.

The real world beckons and I "gotta be me" (Golden Rainbow!)...I gotta be REAL in reality not that I don't love my OFH friends!
lol.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

my name is tonya cerese McGuire Stalcup. tcmstalcup. I am very irish. McGuire is my maiden name. meant first 3 initials in my original post. Sorry.
My Mom's maiden name is McGuire.

We are very Irish and German. I am nearly half and half.

The Irish likes to hug but the German wants to be left alone. What a conundrum....

my name is tonya cerese McGuire Stalcup. tcmstalcup. I am very irish. McGuire is my maiden name. meant first 3 initials in my original post. Sorry.
When you said you were somewhat crazy I figured you meant 3 initials but I just wanted to give you a hard time.

You need to have a platinum poultry membership for stealth mode.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-memberships-help-support-backyardchickens
If you change your name you would be in stealth for a while without the platinum. Just joking.

Blink and you'll miss something!

My only standard sized chicken breed is the Chantecler which is literally to me the "Canuck Bock" and to us, the one and only!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Nice bird houses.
So true on fast progression of seasons. I picked about half of the apricots a couple days ago. I just went out to get the rest and they're all gone. I need to set hourly alarms on when to do things.
If I lived in a constantly cool climate, I'd have Chanteclers and Orloffs. A friend in Wisconsin raises whites.

MO is a tough climate for most chicken breeds. Almost always humid and ranging from <-10 to >110F.
We are also Irish and German.

It is already 99* with the heat index today.
Irish, German (in almost equal ratios) with a little French and English thrown in for good measure.

DW is Irish, German and Cherokee.

Last edited:
I'm late too lol but X'2 from me as well! I have a girl that works for me from Lebanon I guess I need to send a wish out to her and her family also.... I can't keep up with everything lol!

How thoughtful of you and thank you. Though, they could be Christian, so it might be a good idea to ask if they are Muslim first :) Although, I don't mind when people tell me "Merry Christmas" during that holiday even though it is not my own. Makes me feel nice when people say kind things, it's their intention that counts, not their perceived knowledge.

I tell people who celebrate Christmas "Merry Christmas" as well even though it is not my celebration. But what I believe doesn't have one lick of any importance when it comes to family and friendly relationships. I have my beliefs and you have yours, hey and that doesn't really matter one bit in the grand scheme of things. Let God sort it out later, "you take care of you" and praying the best will be accepted of us all.

Last edited:
My Mom's maiden name is McGuire.

We are very Irish and German. I am nearly half and half.

The Irish likes to hug but the German wants to be left alone. What a conundrum....
We are also Irish and German.

It is already 99* with the heat index today.
Irish German, probably English. Oh, and lots of native blood on both sides. American is my nationality, but my last name is French creole and my first name is Hebrew, I'm a real melting pot.

Back
Top Bottom