The Old Folks Home

The bird was stiff when you pulled it out because rigor was at its peak.

I'm not a worming expert as would be indicated by the fact that I almost never do it. But I have a couple questions.

Where would chickens get worms in the middle of winter with the ground covered with snow?
Some roundworms have a direct life cycle where the worm eggs are passed from the chicken and then in turn eaten by the same or another chicken. Other worms need an intermediate host like grasshoppers, crickets, beetles, flies, slugs, earthworms, etc.. I would think if the chickens were wormed when cold weather hits, they wouldn't need it again till things start coming to life outside.
Embryonation of nematode eggs in cold dry conditions can take a long time if at all.
To avoid direct cycle parasites, management that prevents chickens from picking in their own droppings or at least keeping feeders full will prevent a lot of that.

Are you concerned about using the same wormer so frequently? Parasites become resistant to the same anthelmintic after 8-10 generations.

I thought Piperazine had a withdrawal period of 7 days. Then perhaps another 3 days for the azole. Does that mean you can only use 2/3 of your eggs during the production season?

Have you done fecal float tests to determine if worms are present? I would think with your knowledge and skills you probably already have the equipment to do your own floats and examination. A microscope that magnifies from 100X-400X is sufficient.

I am not worried about Wazine resistance. The monthly worm is actually how it's been studied and how it's approved for use.

I don't know how you'd ever prevent chickens from picking in their feces...

And piperazine does have a withdrawal time as does an azole. I am personally not concerned at all about eating them. The azole that I use is approved for human use and has a very good safety profile. I'm willing to risk it. I do, however, not sell the eggs for a week after I worm.

I wanted to post pics of Maddy's costume but I'm having problems with my phone. She was Hermione. DH was Hagrid. I did not dress up. Stayed home and made sure they had hot soup and cocoa waiting when they got home.

I wanted to post pics of Maddy's costume but I'm having problems with my phone. She was Hermione. DH was Hagrid. I did not dress up. Stayed home and made sure they had hot soup and cocoa waiting when they got home.

That sounds like a good time!

I hope you can get the pictures to post. Can you move them to a computer and upload them?

That sounds like a good time!

I hope you can get the pictures to post. Can you move them to a computer and upload them?
My iPhone is my computer. Maybe Cheryl can screenshot them and post them. All I get is a grey bar that says cancel. Never had this problem before. May have to reinstall BYC.

My iPhone is my computer. Maybe Cheryl can screenshot them and post them. All I get is a grey bar that says cancel. Never had this problem before. May have to reinstall BYC.

I know a lot of people are using phones and tablets as computer replacements, but they are not really computers yet.

Can't run full versions of Office and etc.

I bought a used Dell laptop this summer--actually refurbished from BlinQ--that runs Windows 10 and has a touch screen for $197.00.

Sadly(and I do mean this--it is very sad and is part of the Digital Divide--poor getting poorer because the cannot provide tech for their kids) Children will have a hard time advancing in school without a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_divide

Some schools are offering Tech for kids so if Maddy needs a computer, check to see if there is a program where you live.

Ron, crazy thing about modern smartphones though, for some tasks, they're starting to supercede normal computers in computational power. Video packing is one such example, some of the high end phones have dedicated components for this task now, and they're insanely fast at it.

Ron, crazy thing about modern smartphones though, for some tasks, they're starting to supercede normal computers in computational power. Video packing is one such example, some of the high end phones have dedicated components for this task now, and they're insanely fast at it.

I know!

It is amazing and is a part of the digital divide. My youngest DD had to get a smart phone this year because it is pretty much required to have them for her AP Classes.

Still, she does not type up her term papers on it.

I use my iPhone for everything now. We all have one and it's great for sharing all our stuff back and forth. Grocery lists, app cards like Dunkin Donuts, Apple Pay, etc. if I'm out shopping DH can just send money to my phone if I need it.

Afternoon everyone
caf.gif

Thank you Ron!!! I was doing a bit of evesdropping and picked up you talking about blinq. Never heard of them and checked it out. Great tip! Just might be where I go for my next portable device. My laptop, tho behaving well, is becoming a bit of a senior citizen and I'm really wanting to move up to a touchscreen. I love my Kindle (even older than the laptop) but it can be a real pain trying to do anything serious on it. They have come out with a new high powered version but it's nearly $400 and still has the Amazon OS limitations.

I HATE the SPD and even worse not having a vet that will not even talk to you about poultry.

My girls are doing well physically recovering from their attack, (two of them still look like they got too close to the lawnmower) but, I tried to give them some heavily supervised yard time inside the garden fence this morning and they would have none of it. I opened the gate and sat on the bench that faces it. Three of them came out right by my feet, grabbed a few bites of grass and right back into the greenhouse they scooted. Mz Dumpling wouldn't even venture that far. As soon as she saw the open gate she literally ran up the ramp and into the coop. For now I have it rigged so they can safely travel the short distance between the coop and the greenhouse thru the covered breezeway with the access to the run blocked up completely by plywood on the one side and the fence and main gate on the other. This keeps them completely protected but they can still get some fresh air and dust bathe etc. in the greenhouse. The poor things are still so jumpy that they freak if you touch them without seeing you first and Mz Dumpling is the only one I can pick up.

No trick or treaters here. We are way too far off the beaten path for that.

I have what is supposed to be a smart phone but since we can't even get a signal until we are at least 5 miles from the house, I honestly barely know how to use it past make a call and play candy crush.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom