The Old Folks Home

Morning Old Folk and not so Old Folk. Welcome to the home, @JudithM. We aren't quite a nursing home, more like a retirement community or wanna be retired-ment community or sick of working wanna stay home and play with my chickens, community but you are more than welcome to pull up a chair and join the banter.

We talk about everything including chickens. Aches and pains, no problem. Chronic illnesses that hit us with age, no problem...everyone here is more than just a member, they are also a beloved virtual family.

I swear our oldest cat has a suicide wish, namely death by cattle dog. The other cats have learned to stay out of their reach but the oldest, Cash thinks it's perfectly okay to walk in front of them and then gets beat up. Happened again yesterday. We knew he was in the 'radio room' a spare room we have set up as our HAM radio room and DH went in to retrieve something. On the way out, stupid can ran between his legs, knowing darned well the pups were in for the morning. Chaos ensued. Cat wasn't hurt. I got severely bit on my right arm near the wrist.. last incident, about the same circumstances, DH got hurt, cat had stitches. He's (the cat) somewhere between 18 and 20 and I'm wondering if he isn't developing a cognicent disorder. Or deafness, not hearing the dogs, etc. All the other cats have learned to head to the cat room upstairs when we let them in but Cash just seems to be clueless...and becoming more so.

As for the pups, I cannot blame them their hatred of small animals as I am suspecting they were being fed by somebody tossing a rabbit or whatever in their pen or and telling them to feed themselves. We do our best to keep everyone separated, recognizing that these young dogs were victims of their previous owner's ignorance. and frankly it will take a miracle for them to become desensitized to cats. They were easier to control yesterday, especially since the alpha, our 6 year old Jack Russell, Border collie mix dove into the fray and helped break it up. She loves the cats and we think she was trying to protect the little idiot from the pups.

Me? I'm on antibiotics, flooded the wounds with strong bleach water, but the fangs went into my arm full depth and I'm swollen and sore today. Need to reschedule a PT appointment that's tomorrow.

We are in for a fall temp change next week, finally with temps rising in the 60s and lows in the low 50s starting next thursday. need to clean the coops and start covering windows for winter weather. The rest of this week is rainy so not much chance of things drying out.

@trumpeting_angel, glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Oh yes! Chickens are not too picky about their housing.
I still have to put more sand in the bottoms of all the open air pens. I have found that is the easiest way to keep them clean. I just rake up the poop and the rain washes the sand nicely. That is a lot less work than shavings or anything else I have tried. Besides, it is a clean, no waste set up and their feet stay nice and clean.

Morning Old Folk and not so Old Folk. Welcome to the home, @JudithM. We aren't quite a nursing home, more like a retirement community or wanna be retired-ment community or sick of working wanna stay home and play with my chickens, community but you are more than welcome to pull up a chair and join the banter.

We talk about everything including chickens. Aches and pains, no problem. Chronic illnesses that hit us with age, no problem...everyone here is more than just a member, they are also a beloved virtual family.

I swear our oldest cat has a suicide wish, namely death by cattle dog. The other cats have learned to stay out of their reach but the oldest, Cash thinks it's perfectly okay to walk in front of them and then gets beat up. Happened again yesterday. We knew he was in the 'radio room' a spare room we have set up as our HAM radio room and DH went in to retrieve something. On the way out, stupid can ran between his legs, knowing darned well the pups were in for the morning. Chaos ensued. Cat wasn't hurt. I got severely bit on my right arm near the wrist.. last incident, about the same circumstances, DH got hurt, cat had stitches. He's (the cat) somewhere between 18 and 20 and I'm wondering if he isn't developing a cognicent disorder. Or deafness, not hearing the dogs, etc. All the other cats have learned to head to the cat room upstairs when we let them in but Cash just seems to be clueless...and becoming more so.

As for the pups, I cannot blame them their hatred of small animals as I am suspecting they were being fed by somebody tossing a rabbit or whatever in their pen or and telling them to feed themselves. We do our best to keep everyone separated, recognizing that these young dogs were victims of their previous owner's ignorance. and frankly it will take a miracle for them to become desensitized to cats. They were easier to control yesterday, especially since the alpha, our 6 year old Jack Russell, Border collie mix dove into the fray and helped break it up. She loves the cats and we think she was trying to protect the little idiot from the pups.

Me? I'm on antibiotics, flooded the wounds with strong bleach water, but the fangs went into my arm full depth and I'm swollen and sore today. Need to reschedule a PT appointment that's tomorrow.

We are in for a fall temp change next week, finally with temps rising in the 60s and lows in the low 50s starting next thursday. need to clean the coops and start covering windows for winter weather. The rest of this week is rainy so not much chance of things drying out.

Oh.. those temps sound so good! We are still bumping the high 90's every day but hopefully, that will break into the 80's next week. We are not scheduled to get to the 50's and 60's until the middle of October. I am so ready for cooler weather!!!

Oh my, that is a hard way to start retirement. I certainly hope you are soon able to get your retirement plans in gear. I am so busy since I "retired" until I just pass out at night. Retirement is the best part of life!

I live outside Wetumpka, Alabama. I plan to post photos of my chickens and already posted pics of my chicken setups in the intro so you can see them there but don't laugh. They are not too bad for the fabrication by an old woman... LOL!

Yay for old women!

I’m looking forward to retirement. I feel like I need to start over!

@microchick - were you bitten by the cat? Maybe by a dog is just as bad, but I had a deep cat bite that gave me terrible cellulitis. Glad to hear you’re on antibiotics. I was at the ER that night, but saw my PCP the next day (because the ER doc spent all of 90 seconds on me) and she sent me home from work, lectured me, changed my antibiotics, and eventually hospitalized me.

So take good care of yourself, and don’t be afraid to go back to the doc if you’re not improving.

Sheesh. That was 30+ years ago, and here I am talking about my hospitalizations again! Ugh.

For first year pullets that start laying before the hours of daylight go below 12, they will usually keep laying that winter. The next winter they will need lights to keep laying.

You will likely get more eggs but not as many as spring-- maybe 2 or three eggs a week from each pullet

Thanks, Ron! I need input from the Old Hands here on the rocking chair porch.

I’ve got the light situation straightened out, and now they’re getting enough calcium. But I wonder about a week’s delay in egg “production.” Is it normal? I’m a complete novice. Could potential coccidiosis interfere?

Thanks, Ron! I need input from the Old Hands here on the rocking chair porch.

I’ve got the light situation straightened out, and now they’re getting enough calcium. But I wonder about a week’s delay in egg “production.” Is it normal? I’m a complete novice. Could potential coccidiosis interfere?
Usually by pullet age, coccidiosis is not a big deal for hens. It can lower production a bit but not stop it. It is more likely from them just starting out laying. It takes a month or so for them to fully kick into laying eggs

Me? I'm on antibiotics, flooded the wounds with strong bleach water, but the fangs went into my arm full depth and I'm swollen and sore today.
:eek: I hope your recovery is swift. That much puncture is quite a bit of damage.

I’m looking forward to retirement. I feel like I need to start over!
Retirement 2.0?? Yes, I think you do need to start over, the first version didn't start right at all.

It is more likely from them just starting out laying. It takes a month or so for them to fully kick into laying eggs
Yep. Back in 2012 with my first chicks, one of the Faverolles started at 20 weeks 3 days. 2nd egg was 6 days later, then 3 to the 3rd .... then nothing from her for 3 weeks. In the meantime 8 other girls started and were laying much more regularly - 2 or 3 in a row then a day or two off.

Is your tetanus shot up to date? Sorry you got hurt! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom