The Old Folks Home

I had the funniest thing happen last night. I went out to lock up the chickens and give them some scratch feed before they went to roost so they had something in their crops to help keep them warm. One of my little SWD OEGB cockerels had gotten out, I suspect he found a hole in the netting that I didn't plug good enough and staged an escape.

The little guy was running around having fun. Our chicken guard dog, Buck ran right by him. I called him and his sister back to the house and then went to catch 'Rambo' or Bo, as I call him. He is super tame and ran up to me as I approached. When I asked him what he thought he was doing on the wrong side of the fence when there is a fox around and he started chattering excitedly at me, danced back and forth on first one leg then the other and finally picked up some blades of grass that he had found and laid them at my feet.

I told him that might impress the bantam hens but not me! It was so darned cute to look down and see this little barely 2 pound cockerel looking up at me with a blade of grass in his beak, chattering away about his adventure 'outside'.

I found the hole in the net where two nets are spliced together. It's on the 'to do' list for today......
Aw, cute! My bantams are more interested in the girls than me.

I had the funniest thing happen last night. I went out to lock up the chickens and give them some scratch feed before they went to roost so they had something in their crops to help keep them warm. One of my little SWD OEGB cockerels had gotten out, I suspect he found a hole in the netting that I didn't plug good enough and staged an escape.

The little guy was running around having fun. Our chicken guard dog, Buck ran right by him. I called him and his sister back to the house and then went to catch 'Rambo' or Bo, as I call him. He is super tame and ran up to me as I approached. When I asked him what he thought he was doing on the wrong side of the fence when there is a fox around and he started chattering excitedly at me, danced back and forth on first one leg then the other and finally picked up some blades of grass that he had found and laid them at my feet.

I told him that might impress the bantam hens but not me! It was so darned cute to look down and see this little barely 2 pound cockerel looking up at me with a blade of grass in his beak, chattering away about his adventure 'outside'.

I found the hole in the net where two nets are spliced together. It's on the 'to do' list for today......
Chicken adventures can be very entertaining!

Morning to all of you Micro know but yesterday my BF had a bad episode with his blood sugar.. he is 73 been diabetic since he was 30 he is very stable all these years.. He had episode like this 2 years ago just bottomed on him 31 recorded by the medic.... Scared to dickens out of me and the Son .. this morning he is fine

Morning to all of you Micro know but yesterday my BF had a bad episode with his blood sugar.. he is 73 been diabetic since he was 30 he is very stable all these years.. He had episode like this 2 years ago just bottomed on him 31 recorded by the medic.... Scared to dickens out of me and the Son .. this morning he is fine
:hugs

Could he have pancreatitis?

Glad to hear that @penny1960. DH and I were talking about that this morning over coffee. He is lucky that he didn't black out before he did. It could have been so much worse.

There are squeeze packets of glucose gel that he can get and carry around with him. Or better yet, and much yummier...a payday candy bar!

Miserable weather here today. Started out with snow. We got about an inch and a half before it switched over to freezing rain. I didn't even bother opening the pop door this morning. The birds won't get out in it.

@CapricornFarm, I think he thinks I'm just a REALLY big hen that he is trying to impress. I've been 'mom' to him since his own mother died when he was just a little over a month old. I'd carry him around with me when I was working out in the coop. Some times he would ride in the hood of my sweatshirt and when he got older, he would fly up to my shoulder and start chattering at me. He's a very vocal little guy and usually is out in the run at night, watching for me and starts calling the hens out and picking up little 'treats' that he offers to me the minute he sees me.. I keep telling him I'm not his type and am happily married, but he is stubborn little guy.

Got an Orange streusel coffee cake in the oven. Bad weather just makes ya wanna BAKE!

Back
Top Bottom