The Old Folks Home

Morning all :frow
Looks like the swap went well Cap! they're lovely !
Thanks Perris, I love adding to my Polish collection. Someone was asking about the splash just before me but then left. I thought maybe the price was high. I asked, and she was only $20! Well worth that!

The only choices we have are satellite and DSL (MAX 15mbps on a good day and if it is actually working at the time)

Hi TA. I've always fed Poulin (VT family owned currently in the 3rd gen). They don't have an All Flock. Only the original 12 in 2012 grew up on Starter followed by Grower then Layer. All subsequent chicks were on Starter until they could get out of the brooder area into the coop where the Layer was in the hanging feeder. Every one of them transitioned over to Layer before I ran out of Starter. I've seen no problems.
We do have fiber to the street and then cable to the house. It is fairly fast but does have brief outages still even after the several service calls last month

We currently have 250 Mbps up, and down. Dh increased it to 500 Mbps. It does not necessarily increase the speed, but it increases bandwidth. It's fine for us now, but he wanted to make sure that when the kids start their virtual schooling, that bandwidth is not an issue.

Having the ability to connect to FIOS was one of the criteria, when we were house hunting. When FIOS began here, they wired almost the whole county. Due to our long standing with them, as great paying customers, they let him know that if we got a place that didn't have it, they would run the lines, and put it in for us.

If you remember, last year, when we had trouble, they discovered that the original cable they installed, had deteriorated. It should not have. They were not sure if they had gotten a batch of inferior cable (most likely), or if the original installers mixed up interior cable with exterior cable (less likely). They replaced the entire length of cable from the road, down the driveway, to our house.

Back in 2006, when Verizon first began to introduce FIOS, they did a slow roll out of it. When it was becoming available to my area, their long term customers, started getting information about signing up for it, in their monthly statements. I called. At that time, the monthly billing would be the same, they would put in the lines, equipment, etc. at no additional cost. They needed 300 pilot homes to sign up in my area, so they could begin the launch. Ok, sign me up. A short time later, they contacted me, and explained how they would run the lines, and put in the equipment, and asked if I was still willing. Sure, do it.

They set an appointment, and came to run the lines, and install everything. One soon got the impression that this was a big deal to them. I was handed a card, and told it was a 24/7 access number. If ANYTHING went wrong with my FIOS, or my landline, to call anytime day, or night, and they would have someone out immediately. It was new, and the techs were still learning everything about it.

While they were there, several of my neighbors stopped to ask the guys about getting it for their homes. Yes, they had seen the inserts in their bills, but hadn't bothered to call, and sign up for it. Nope, they had their 300 pilot homes, and it would be at least 6 months before anyone else could get it. I was the envy of my neighborhood, all because I was dumb enough to inquire about the insert in my bill. Cool.

When I moved into my husband's apartment, we discussed his internet situation. It sucked. He agreed to let them put in FIOS. I called my technician buddy. The lines were already there, so they just had to bring my router, and plug me in. Done.

That started an issue there. When Verizon was trying to roll out FIOS, the competition cable company, went around getting Condos, Apartment Complexes, Subdivisions, etc. to sign an exclusive contract with them. They offered various incentive packages, to encourage them to sign. Our apartment complex had changed owners a couple years prior, but had signed the exclusive agreement, unbeknownst to the current owners. Lawyers were consulted. Yes, the agreement carried over to the new owners, and it was binding.

Eventually, Verizon went to the FCC. The FCC declared what the cable company had done, to be illegal, and unenforceable. In addition, they told the cable company, if they took any legal action to try to enforce the exclusive contracts, they would suspend their licensing. Ok, so the FCC having power over the cable company, made a ruling. Signed contracts, however, are a judicial matter, falling under the court system, and the FCC is not part of the judiciary system. The apartment complex's lawyers told them to hold off, until some type of legal precedent was established, or until the contract ran out. It would run out in a little over a year.

We were the only ones that had FIOS in that whole apartment complex, for a little over a year. In the meantime, once a month, Verizon set up tents at the entrance, encouraging people to sign up, and make the switch as soon as it became available. By the time the contract was up, at least 85% of the complex made the switch.

When we moved here, the previous owner had FIOS. All they really had to do was change our service over to this place, BUT life is not so simple. The rules required it to be treated as a new install. Ultimately, that turned out to be a good thing. They took out her lines, and connections, then put them where we wanted them.

Even after the hurricane, we had our FIOS.

Last edited:
Your swap finds are beautiful birds, Cap. The crested birds fascinate me. Maybe someday....

I just read this article. Very interesting. It almost sounds as if Covid is in the same family of diseases that Lyme and other tick borne infections are in. Wouldn't this be a kick if it is the way to eradicate the disease?

https://www.newsmax.com/health/heal...ectin-coronavirus-covid/2020/08/08/id/981220/

Kinda worries me can we verify that ? Seems to flippin easy only because it out of Aussie land would I think maybe true

Kinda worries me can we verify that ? Seems to flippin easy only because it out of Aussie land would I think maybe true

Lyme is caused by a spirochete same family of organism that causes syphilis. I don't understand how antibiotics can impact a virus. Ivermectin ? a vermicide, again not certain how that could work against a virus. The zinc - yeah maybe as it does appear to have efficacy against other coronaviruses. I'm with you penny - not discounting anything, but would like to see more information.

Did find this webmd
'No One Should Try to Self-Medicate'

"The main way we think ivermectin works is to target a key molecule of our cells that we think helps the virus to proliferate," Jans says. "By stopping this, the virus replicates more slowly, and so our immune system has a better chance to mount the antiviral response and kill the virus." Giving this or any antiviral drug early is thought to give the body the best chance of beating infection, he says.

April 7, 2020 -- An inexpensive drug used to treat parasitic infections killed the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 in less than 48 hours in a laboratory setting, Australian researchers say.

Best Practices for COVID-19
Practical tips to stop the spread of COVID-19.
ABOUT

The drug, ivermectin, has been used widely used for decades. It was introduced as a veterinary drug in the 1970s. Doctors also prescribe it to treat head lice, scabies, and other infections caused by parasites. According to a report published online in the journal Antiviral Research, the drug quickly prevented replication of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The study has been peer-reviewed and accepted for publication, although it is not yet a "definitive" version of record.

Researchers infected cells with SARS-CoV-2, then exposed them to ivermectin. "We showed that a single dose of ivermectin could kill COVID-19 in a petri dish within 48 hours, indicating potent antiviral activity," says study co-author David Jans, PhD, a professor of biochemistry and molecular biology at Monash University in Melbourne.

Even at 24 hours, "there was a really significant reduction" in the virus, study leader Kylie Wagstaff, PhD, a senior research fellow in biochemistry and molecular biology at Monash University, said in a statement.

But experts say more testing is needed to know if it works well in people and if it’s safe to use.

Your swap finds are beautiful birds, Cap. The crested birds fascinate me. Maybe someday....

I just read this article. Very interesting. It almost sounds as if Covid is in the same family of diseases that Lyme and other tick borne infections are in. Wouldn't this be a kick if it is the way to eradicate the disease?

https://www.newsmax.com/health/heal...ectin-coronavirus-covid/2020/08/08/id/981220/
Thanks, I am very pleased with them. My Seramas hatched a white chick today!

Back
Top Bottom