The Old Folks Home

Have your kids moved out? If so, why shouldn't you replace the companionship and feelings of being needed with something you enjoy!? I have one grown daughter and she doesn't "get" the chickens but that doesn't bother me at all. I have three at home and its the time and money away from them that I sometimes wonder about. I think it is healthy to explore your own interests and having a hobby is healthy. I just may be over-doing it a bit too soon! It's not a big deal to my family. I just wonder....... I can't wait to change and get out to the coop in the afternoon after work. I would MUCH rather be there with the birds than inside listening to kids quarrel, my husband fuss at them, and the tv blare. I NEED that time to relax, wind down after work, and relieve stress. I know that I have a thousand things that need to be done and I sometimes feel guilty that I don't make them a priority, but you know, the chickens and one dance class a week are the only things I do for myself. There are TONS of things I do for everyone else around here!

I use about 50# layer pellets a week in the winter and 50# a month in the summer. That amount grows in the fall and falls off in the spring. I also use starter occasionally and cracked corn for treats. My birds free range all day and are locked in safe at night.
I'm with you. Why should't we get attached to our chickens ? After all, what other livestock gives us food without having to sacrifice their lives? I thank my hens every time I collect their eggs. Yes, I talk to chickens. LOL

I'm with you. Why should't we get attached to our chickens ? After all, what other livestock gives us food without having to sacrifice their lives? I thank my hens every time I collect their eggs. Yes, I talk to chickens. LOL
I've been teaching my Roos (well cockerels still) all the names of their hens.. Someone said they could learn up to 100 words/names.

no--good nights sleep, sun is shining, and my washing machine part arrived!!
That happened last month, the washing machine arriving part. Really makes your day!

DH and I share a lot of the same interests. He doesn't get chocolate though unless it's semi sweet or the ultra semi sweet with high percentage cacao to it. Me, if it is chocolate I love it.

DH and I were talking about that this morning. There were things I was hoping to get once I was retired, two of those things being goats and a horse. Three being chickens. I'm realistic though. My joints are not going to get better and I am not going to get stronger as I age. I'm fighting a battle to keep things level and even so the scale is tipping against me. So I know the first two are out of the question. Chickens though? I can do my chickens without too much pain or fatigue. Without shame I admit that not only do I talk to them, but I cuddle them, sing to them, pet them and spoil them.

My husband knows how important they are to me and helps me whenever I need it.

Fate and my health said no horse, no goats, but you can have all the useless roosters and freeloading hens you want.

I can live with that!

Back
Top Bottom