The Old Folks Home

What will breeds are you getting?
I'm leaning towards some Rhode Island Reds to eventually put in with Charlie and Henrietta. She's a BSL and bossy, so these gals should be able to handle her antics. He of course is my Cockoo kid. Still need a bantum for Sara, but I can go see a lady nearby that raises them.

I'm looking for hatcheries that:

Have Blue Australorps
Have a 3-5 chick minimum
Will have them by end of March/early April

TSC said they "get them in sometimes." I'm going to check on my way home tomorrow. I might just snatch them up if they have them, even though I was planning for about 3 weeks from now, at the earliest.

If you know of any.... 🙏 There is a place I can pick them up about 110 miles from me, but not until June.

Now, if I hadn't seen how freaking beautiful they are in people's pictures here on BYC, I wouldn't be tormenting myself this way. Sigh.

I'm looking for hatcheries that:

Have Blue Australorps
Have a 3-5 chick minimum
Will have them by end of March/early April

TSC said they "get them in sometimes." I'm going to check on my way home tomorrow. I might just snatch them up if they have them, even though I was planning for about 3 weeks from now, at the earliest.

If you know of any.... 🙏 There is a place I can pick them up about 110 miles from me, but not until June.

Now, if I hadn't seen how freaking beautiful they are in people's pictures here on BYC, I wouldn't be tormenting myself this way. Sigh.
It's a hard hearted hobby this keeping chickens is, isn't it? It's like a kid in a candy shop.

Happy Tuesday everyone. Beautiful day here. 55° sunny....muddy. The run was actually half way dried out and then it got warmer again and I think it just thawed out the ground deeper down and let all that wonderful water cup up to the top. The chickens don't mind it because the first of the worms are out there to be found. I have a few boards laying out in the run and they follow me around waiting for me to turn them over so they can scramble for tidbits.

@Beer can I'd be a bit suspicious if I were you, also. There is something wrong with them and they can't eat them so they are passing them on to you? Sounds like a chance to get up close and personal with a stomach pump to me!

I'm leaning towards some Rhode Island Reds to eventually put in with Charlie and Henrietta. She's a BSL and bossy, so these gals should be able to handle her antics. He of course is my Cockoo kid. Still need a bantum for Sara, but I can go see a lady nearby that raises them.
RIRs are a good choice!

BTW, has any one used a grow lamp to keep a brooder warm before? It's putting off about as much heat as a red heat lamp but is more full spectrum.
You have to be careful with lights that are not red. The chicks can peck each other with whint light

It's a hard hearted hobby this keeping chickens is, isn't it? It's like a kid in a candy shop.

Happy Tuesday everyone. Beautiful day here. 55° sunny....muddy. The run was actually half way dried out and then it got warmer again and I think it just thawed out the ground deeper down and let all that wonderful water cup up to the top. The chickens don't mind it because the first of the worms are out there to be found. I have a few boards laying out in the run and they follow me around waiting for me to turn them over so they can scramble for tidbits.

@Beer can I'd be a bit suspicious if I were you, also. There is something wrong with them and they can't eat them so they are passing them on to you? Sounds like a chance to get up close and personal with a stomach pump to me!
LOL! Too Funny!

Some people are really turned off by eating black chicken meat I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom