The Old Folks Home

I've got the wire scoped out to make the cave with and a thermometer to put under it to test out the temps at different settings.
A thermometer inside the cave won't do much good. The cave works by the chicks having their backs up against the warm pad, not by creating ambient heat. Here are the general guidelines (I would start on high):

First IT IS REALLY ANNOYING THAT THE MENU ITEMS DO NOT WORK!

* If the chicks won't come out, the pad temp is too low
* If the chicks won't go in, the pad temp is too high
* If the chicks come and go, the pad temp is JUST RIGHT.

* If the chicks won't come out, the pad temp is too low
* If the chicks won't go in, the pad temp is too high
* If the chicks come and go, the pad temp is JUST RIGHT.
:lau

Yeah... before adulthood and BYC... I raised chicks every year as a kid... only time I lost some was the year the dog got to them... :rolleyes: (memorable).

I had no idea what temp they had to be at... my grandmother that taught me about all things chicken didn't know either. :idunno

We just "listened".

Dh, and grandson went to the little store yesterday evening. Dh noticed there seemed to be quite a few cars, but didn't really think anything of it. They both had opened their car doors to go inside, when all heck broke loose.

A big pick up truck came flying into the parking lot, hitting one of the first cars near the entrance. The hit car, slammed into another one. The truck proceeded further, hitting more cars, causing a sort of domino effect. By the time the truck hit the second vehicle, a bunch of cars, sirens blaring and lights flashing, came pouring in, right behind it. In the parking lot, some of the vehicles began turning on their lights, and sirens. This is all happening quickly.

As the truck proceeded, my grandson saw as it approached, and by the time it was only a few feet away from him, he had already sprung into action. He had opened the car door, and dove into the far side away from where the truck would hit the car, onto the back seat. Dh jumped back in the car too, away from the side the oncoming truck would hit.

Fortunately, as the truck neared the car, it swerved, hitting a car on the opposite side. It hit 2 more cars, before it sped out of the parking lot. More, and more cars with lights, and sirens came pouring in, chasing the truck. A couple of the cars with lights, and sirens stopped, and began asking people if they were ok, then asking people not to leave. Shortly deputies began showing up, taking statements from everyone.

Several of the deputies knew Dh, and explained that they had just done a drug bust, and this guy managed to get away. That explained all the unmarked cars, and plain clothes deputies. The truck driver had hit quite a few vehicles before he got to the little store.

When the truck left the little store parking lot, it proceeded down the road further, leaving more crashed cars in it's wake. The truck sustained enough damage, it wouldn't go any further, so the guy jumped out. He ran, and hid in the woods. The helicopters pinned his location, and they were able to arrest the guy.

I haven't had a blind rooster, but he is likely nervous about other chickens pecking him. I would put him in his own place and not move things once he gets established. If he can't see the food, he might be hungry and therefore peck at anything.
I've done that, Cap. He is in his own pen about 4 feet off the ground. He can hear the other birds but his vision is so bad that I doubt if he can see anything.

When I moved his pen into the bachelor coop he started crowing at the other roosters - the first time I had heard him crow in years.

But there were other roosters in the main coop when he started the pecking behavior at me. Last night when I fed him he tried to peck but I just diverted his attention by giving his back a couple of quick strokes with one hand and hurriedly did the water and food with the other while he was trying to figure out what touched him. He used to quiet down when I talked to him and gave him some gentle pets but now it's like he doesn't know me.

DH wondered if his hearing isn't going also and that is why he is doing these behaviors but I think he is hearing as he crows back at the other roosters.

Maybe he is just feeling better with more stimulation around him.Idunno. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on in that little peanut sized brain of his so I can keep him around for awhile longer. He really was a nice rooster, even when he was loosing his sight.

OMG! @getaclue! That kind of stuff only happens in TV and movie car chases. Too scary. But I'm glad they got the bad guy and DH and GS are alright and from what I was reading, no damage to the car? Oh man, talk about dodging a bullet.

Morning all. Thanks for the Mamma heating pad tips Bruce.

Temps here in the 60s and everything is finally drying out. We are down to one strip of ice in the shadows of the back porch and then it too will be gone and I hope the worst of winter behind us.

We have been busy scoping out trees, dealing with brush down by the pond (and I have the scratches on my hands to prove it!, LOL) and generally coming out of hibernation and ready for spring.

DH and I took our Storm Spotters class on Tuesday. It was short but fun so we are now officially trained spotters. Great because there is very poor Doppler radar here in spite of an airport being not far from us. The weather service in KC an St. Lou depends a lot on spotters to cover the rural area.

Plus I've been working on my MD article. The India Ink I ordered weeks ago finally arrived so I am now working on illos now and still editing. I'm about ready to pass it to DH to be beta'ed so the light is turned on at the end of the tunnel. Yay!

Dh, and grandson went to the little store yesterday evening. Dh noticed there seemed to be quite a few cars, but didn't really think anything of it. They both had opened their car doors to go inside, when all heck broke loose.

A big pick up truck came flying into the parking lot, hitting one of the first cars near the entrance. The hit car, slammed into another one. The truck proceeded further, hitting more cars, causing a sort of domino effect. By the time the truck hit the second vehicle, a bunch of cars, sirens blaring and lights flashing, came pouring in, right behind it. In the parking lot, some of the vehicles began turning on their lights, and sirens. This is all happening quickly.

As the truck proceeded, my grandson saw as it approached, and by the time it was only a few feet away from him, he had already sprung into action. He had opened the car door, and dove into the far side away from where the truck would hit the car, onto the back seat. Dh jumped back in the car too, away from the side the oncoming truck would hit.

Fortunately, as the truck neared the car, it swerved, hitting a car on the opposite side. It hit 2 more cars, before it sped out of the parking lot. More, and more cars with lights, and sirens came pouring in, chasing the truck. A couple of the cars with lights, and sirens stopped, and began asking people if they were ok, then asking people not to leave. Shortly deputies began showing up, taking statements from everyone.

Several of the deputies knew Dh, and explained that they had just done a drug bust, and this guy managed to get away. That explained all the unmarked cars, and plain clothes deputies. The truck driver had hit quite a few vehicles before he got to the little store.

When the truck left the little store parking lot, it proceeded down the road further, leaving more crashed cars in it's wake. The truck sustained enough damage, it wouldn't go any further, so the guy jumped out. He ran, and hid in the woods. The helicopters pinned his location, and they were able to arrest the guy.
That is an exciting story!

It is good to hear that your DH and Grandson are safe.

Back
Top Bottom