The Old Folks Home

My kids are a trip! The rowing machine finally arrived today. Spent about 30 minutes assembling it then had a go at some resistance training. Gator watched the whole process until I started a slow row.. He walked right up the center beam and gave me kisses each time I rowed. He's never been so enthusiastic before about any thing I've done other than vacuuming the house.. He not so patiently waits for me to finish the floor so he can get his share of being vacuumed. Today it was tail wagging lickety split and kisses for mom!
Then it was time to start some good old fashioned stew.. He had his lunch while I cut up meat, onions, potatoes, etc... then got his treat.. He's been leaving a few small bites in his dish then lays down in the living room and watches as Tiny goes to inspect his bowl for edibles. Really is funny around here!

Can I say I told you so? SDW OEGB roosters if raised being handled and not teased are beyond a doubt the friendliest most affectionate little boys in the chicken kingdom.

I have 12 boys right now and plan to hatch bantam eggs this spring. DH asked me what I was going to do with them if they were boys and my reply? Love them.

Bless Gator, leaving his little feathered room mate treats in his bowl for him. Give him a hug and a scratch for me.

Can I say I told you so? SDW OEGB roosters if raised being handled and not teased are beyond a doubt the friendliest most affectionate little boys in the chicken kingdom.

I have 12 boys right now and plan to hatch bantam eggs this spring. DH asked me what I was going to do with them if they were boys and my reply? Love them.

Bless Gator, leaving his little feathered room mate treats in his bowl for him. Give him a hug and a scratch for me.
Tiny Dancer is getting more accustomed to being with other species (human and canine) still but he's getting there. Not running for the hills every time I approach. He keeps mostly to the counter top at the end of the kitchen where my feeding tray with containers sit.. but is getting down more often to inspect the floor for treats. I need to get him something to put some dirt in so he can bathe.

I have one who's mother went back to the flock when he was only 3 weeks old. Just kicked him to the curb and that was that. Luckily he was mostly fledged but I felt so sorry for the little guy that I took him under my wing. Carried him around with me while I did chores, gave him lots of attention and treats. Made sure he had a safe place to hang out so he didn't get picked on and when more chicks were ready for the grow out pen I put him in with them so he could get used to being with birds his own age. By that time he had bonded with me.

He's 2 years old now and still my bud. His name is Joker and he's the one who meets me at the run gate and offers me presents. I have a couple of his sons who inherited his easy going personality and hope to hatch more this spring just like him.

All of my oegb sdw boys are friendly though.

Dh, and grandson have been on a mission. There are too many rats in my coops. Dh has bought traps, we've put out baits, and today they discovered live traps. They got 2 of them, and put some leftover Subway sandwich from lunch in them. They've already caught, and killed 2 rats. With all we're doing, hopefully within a week, or two, we should not see any rats, or at least a big decrease in their population. My men out on rat safari.

Tonight it's going down to 40, but the wind is a steady 17 mph. Tomorrow night it's going down into the low 20's. Mother Nature seems to be very confused. Florida is suppose to be tropical, year round.

I'll probably post it here when I'm done with it Lovesfarms. I really need to get that written this weekend.:he

Happy Friday all. The sun is out bright here but it is COLD. It's like walking into a freezer outside. No warmth to the sun at all, unfortunately.

I went out and turned the heat lamp on for the birds. The coop was cold although none of the water was frozen. They are calling for another storm to roll through with rain/snow early this next week. Gee...and the road was just starting to have some bare spots show.

It's been a full month since we got garbage service. 4 calls to the company got me nowhere. Even though they have a clause that says if they haven't picked up our garbage in 15 days it would be considered to be a breach of contract on their part, they won't let us out of our contract with them to go to another cheaper company. They did get tired of my complaining and renegotiated our service with them which cut our payment to 52 dollars a month which is at least bearable but our dumpster runnith over.:confused:. I am now of the opinion that monopolies suck.
We have no garbage service at all. So it goes to the dumpster when one of us piles it all in the truck and takes it there. I hate it. But we don't have to do it on any certain day. But if you go Sunday evening, all the dumpsters are full.

Dh, and grandson have been on a mission. There are too many rats in my coops. Dh has bought traps, we've put out baits, and today they discovered live traps. They got 2 of them, and put some leftover Subway sandwich from lunch in them. They've already caught, and killed 2 rats. With all we're doing, hopefully within a week, or two, we should not see any rats, or at least a big decrease in their population. My men out on rat safari.

Tonight it's going down to 40, but the wind is a steady 17 mph. Tomorrow night it's going down into the low 20's. Mother Nature seems to be very confused. Florida is suppose to be tropical, year round.
Not unless you live below Frostproof.. that's the line that frost doesn't cross, supposedly.

Tiny Dancer is getting more accustomed to being with other species (human and canine) still but he's getting there. Not running for the hills every time I approach. He keeps mostly to the counter top at the end of the kitchen where my feeding tray with containers sit.. but is getting down more often to inspect the floor for treats. I need to get him something to put some dirt in so he can bathe.
Cat litter box?

Back
Top Bottom