The Old Folks Home

Good Morning Old Folks Another sunny day before the rains return tonight and tomorrow.
Same here! Wow, blue sky, sun...very nice break between "rain events". The chooks are out sunning and preening, and I'll be out there soaking up the sun too, right after lunch.

The weeds are loving all this wet yet bright weather, and there are gophers & moles wreaking havoc in the gardens so it's trapping time. (Feb. is their breeding season here, so best nip them in the bud as much as possible.) The dogs love hunting them and can even track them underground, helping me find unseen tunnels to set with my GopherHawks...

4.24" of rain/small hail the past 3 days, no problems other than being weary of being wet.

There's a bird laying on my deck, it hit the window a few minutes ago. Still breathing, but it hit quite hard. So might have broken its neck. Looks like a finch.
We had a nuthatch do that a couple weeks ago. They fly into our radio room window when the lights are on in there. Found the little guy quite diseased. Weird that 9 times out of 10 they will bounce off and fly away.

Hi guys. Sun came out here today also. Temp of 50. Snow is 99% gone. Yay! Did a run up to Buchheits (previously known as Orschelns) to buy feed and gasp! They had chicks. Of course with the peep peep peep mating call of the chicken keeper acting as a sirens call I had to go check them out. No, didn't bring any home. Too early in the season for here and I have no desire to keep birds in the house until they are 8 weeks old. Planning on picking up 6 white leghorns and hatch some more E Fayoumi.

Lost my oldest hen a few days ago. Minnie Mouse was almost 8. She was my rodent exterminator and alpha hen. Nobody crossed Minnie in the coop, not even the roosters. She was droopy one day and gone the next morning. I'm going to miss that old girl. She was a hoot.

Lost my oldest hen a few days ago. Minnie Mouse was almost 8. She was my rodent exterminator and alpha hen. Nobody crossed Minnie in the coop, not even the roosters. She was droopy one day and gone the next morning. I'm going to miss that old girl. She was a hoot.
You gave her a good long life. :hugs:hugs

Fly high and free, Minnie Mouse!

Thanks, @Sally PB. She was the first Amish barnyard cross hen that I hatched from my first hatching. Set 11 eggs in my incubator. 10 roosters and 1 pullet, Minnie. If I was doing any digging in the run she would be in the hole supervising. I'd have to get a hand under her fluffy butt and push her out of the way even if I was cleaning the coop as she would be looking for baby mice.

She survived the Marek's outbreak. She gave me hope. I am lucky enough to have her only son, Pepper. He's a lot like his mom. His brother, Scooter was taken by a fox last year. He's the last of the line and I plan to breed him to the Fayoumi girls this spring.

I have a huge flock at the rainbow bridge. I'm sure she is ruling the roost there also.

Back
Top Bottom