The Olive-Egger thread!

Thank you, I really love the OE girls, it's driving me crazy though waiting for their eggs.
barnie.gif

Puzzle for the genes experts -- I have a 2nd generation EE that is laying an awesome olive green egg. She looks just like her mom (wheaten Ameraucana-ish) with a single, flopped over comb. Mom layed a pretty blue egg - on the light side. EE roo daddy from the same hatch as mom (both sold to me as "Ameraucanas") and all of a sudden, I've got this awesome green egg layer that looks just like her mom. ???
hu.gif

I have an olive egger, Maran plus ameracuana. She just started laying last week at 26 weeks. Nice long shaped olive egg. She lays about 4 eggs per week. Gloria Jean

I only have one thing to say about Science and then I will stroll away from the topic...when science can explain the playpus....

A mamal that lays eggs but has webbed feet, a duck's bill and venom with sharp stingers on the heels of the rear feet and has the tail of a beaver and body and fur of an otter. They hunt underwater and store food in cheek pounches but wait to surface to crush their food and they do not have teeth and the females burrow and seal themselves in to lay their eggs.

So when science can explain that one, then I shall worry about the opinion of scientists as gospel but until then...I will take everything with a grain of salt and know that nature will do as nature pleases, when it pleases.
smile.png

Now on the subject of OEs. Yoooohoooo Wynette I have 1 unquestionable male, 3 unquestionable females and I am leaning towards female on the remaining one but it could fool me yet. I shall keeo you posted.

Last edited:
Quote:
Welll, I'm a total novice - not a gene expert by a long shot - but I'll venture that she'd have the dominate genes for blue egg shells from both sides. If the wheaton Ameraucana-ish mom and EE roo dad were from the same 'hatch,' I'd think maybe from the same flock but potentially different mothers (or perhaps fathers too, though maybe just one grandpa-roo). If the EE roo's mom had the genes for brown coating, then he could have contributed that as well, giving you the green egg layer. Did any of the other pullets fathered by him lay a brown coating on their eggs?
pop.gif

(Just trying to contribute, but platypuses (or is it platypi?
tongue.png
) are definitely awesome!
thumbsup.gif
)

Quote:
Welll, I'm a total novice - not a gene expert by a long shot - but I'll venture that she'd have the dominate genes for blue egg shells from both sides. If the wheaton Ameraucana-ish mom and EE roo dad were from the same 'hatch,' I'd think maybe from the same flock but potentially different mothers (or perhaps fathers too, though maybe just one grandpa-roo). If the EE roo's mom had the genes for brown coating, then he could have contributed that as well, giving you the green egg layer. Did any of the other pullets fathered by him lay a brown coating on their eggs?
pop.gif

(Just trying to contribute, but platypuses (or is it platypi?
tongue.png
) are definitely awesome!
thumbsup.gif
)

None of the other EEs fathered by him are laying a deep green egg. Their eggs all look like my first generation EE girls (their moms) - varying shades of blue. This girl and her mom are the only ones with the single, flopped over comb as well. The others all have a pea comb as did daddy.

Very strange business, this egg colour thing. Science can now see the genes that are involved and make predictions but there seem to be so many variables that effect what makes them kick in.

Evolution is a marvellous thing. Those platypuses (platypi?) are certainly a perfect example of that. Perfectly adapted to suit their environment.

Back
Top Bottom