The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Thank you, I really love the OE girls, it's driving me crazy though waiting for their eggs. [​IMG]

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Puzzle for the genes experts -- I have a 2nd generation EE that is laying an awesome olive green egg. She looks just like her mom (wheaten Ameraucana-ish) with a single, flopped over comb. Mom layed a pretty blue egg - on the light side. EE roo daddy from the same hatch as mom (both sold to me as "Ameraucanas") and all of a sudden, I've got this awesome green egg layer that looks just like her mom. ??? [​IMG]

3. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those are very pretty girls Jeremy!!

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have an olive egger, Maran plus ameracuana. She just started laying last week at 26 weeks. Nice long shaped olive egg. She lays about 4 eggs per week. Gloria Jean

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I only have one thing to say about Science and then I will stroll away from the topic...when science can explain the playpus....

A mamal that lays eggs but has webbed feet, a duck's bill and venom with sharp stingers on the heels of the rear feet and has the tail of a beaver and body and fur of an otter. They hunt underwater and store food in cheek pounches but wait to surface to crush their food and they do not have teeth and the females burrow and seal themselves in to lay their eggs.

So when science can explain that one, then I shall worry about the opinion of scientists as gospel but until then...I will take everything with a grain of salt and know that nature will do as nature pleases, when it pleases. [​IMG]

Now on the subject of OEs. Yoooohoooo Wynette I have 1 unquestionable male, 3 unquestionable females and I am leaning towards female on the remaining one but it could fool me yet. I shall keeo you posted.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Quote:right on

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Those are very pretty girls Jeremy!!

Thank you BuffyGRL!

8. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:Welll, I'm a total novice - not a gene expert by a long shot - but I'll venture that she'd have the dominate genes for blue egg shells from both sides. If the wheaton Ameraucana-ish mom and EE roo dad were from the same 'hatch,' I'd think maybe from the same flock but potentially different mothers (or perhaps fathers too, though maybe just one grandpa-roo). If the EE roo's mom had the genes for brown coating, then he could have contributed that as well, giving you the green egg layer. Did any of the other pullets fathered by him lay a brown coating on their eggs? [​IMG]

(Just trying to contribute, but platypuses (or is it platypi? [​IMG] ) are definitely awesome! [​IMG] )

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Welll, I'm a total novice - not a gene expert by a long shot - but I'll venture that she'd have the dominate genes for blue egg shells from both sides. If the wheaton Ameraucana-ish mom and EE roo dad were from the same 'hatch,' I'd think maybe from the same flock but potentially different mothers (or perhaps fathers too, though maybe just one grandpa-roo). If the EE roo's mom had the genes for brown coating, then he could have contributed that as well, giving you the green egg layer. Did any of the other pullets fathered by him lay a brown coating on their eggs? [​IMG]

(Just trying to contribute, but platypuses (or is it platypi? [​IMG] ) are definitely awesome! [​IMG] )

None of the other EEs fathered by him are laying a deep green egg. Their eggs all look like my first generation EE girls (their moms) - varying shades of blue. This girl and her mom are the only ones with the single, flopped over comb as well. The others all have a pea comb as did daddy.

Very strange business, this egg colour thing. Science can now see the genes that are involved and make predictions but there seem to be so many variables that effect what makes them kick in.

Evolution is a marvellous thing. Those platypuses (platypi?) are certainly a perfect example of that. Perfectly adapted to suit their environment.

10. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks Gloria Jean for your reply, I hope mine lay that soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by