The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I've already seen several single combed birds that lay green and blue eggs. Happens more than you think.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:It's the only Olive Eggers I purposefully do. [​IMG] My Araucanas make for better meat-purpose OE cockerels, plus I LOVE tufts and rumplessness, so, I use Araucanas instead of Ameraucanas. Also my Araucanas come in more interesting colors to cross.

And yes, they work just as successfully. They're just really rare since very few people have REAL Araucanas, even fewer have Marans too, and even fewer actually cross the two.

3. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:X2 I've seen it pretty often in the past as well.

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Quote:It's the only Olive Eggers I purposefully do. [​IMG] My Araucanas make for better meat-purpose OE cockerels, plus I LOVE tufts and rumplessness, so, I use Araucanas instead of Ameraucanas. Also my Araucanas come in more interesting colors to cross.

And yes, they work just as successfully. They're just really rare since very few people have REAL Araucanas, even fewer have Marans too, and even fewer actually cross the two.

Thanks, I don't have Araucanas at the moment, just a single EE pullet that hasn't even yet started to lay. Back in the late 70's I had actual Araucana (rumpless & tufted) and I was thinking of looking for some hatching eggs to try for a trio. I do have a hatchery Welsummer rooster, but there is a Barnevelder breeder near me.

Thanks again,
    Deb

5. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my First Olive Eggers, they are 12 weeks old and are Ameraucana x Marans cross. Just wanted to get an idea of when they might start laying? I know it can range especially with the Ameraucanas being later to lay and Marans quite sooner.

I purchased the eggs from Alicefelldown at the end of July..maybe someone else has some chicks from her flock.

I am now in love with this cross, they are very nice looking birds and I cannot wait for the surprise eggs. What more could you want? Beautiful BBS colored offspring with possible coppering, feathered shanks sometimes, lots of personality and vibrant baskets of eggs!! [​IMG]

I need more ideas like a need a few holes in my head but when you enjoy something so much it is hard to resist.

6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I have my first OEs too. Hatched out of LOVELY dark green eggs. 10 weeks old and, it seems, both are boys!!!! So I'm not expecting eggs anytime soon! [​IMG]

7. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have my first OEs too. Hatched out of LOVELY dark green eggs. 10 weeks old and, it seems, both are boys!!!! So I'm not expecting eggs anytime soon! [​IMG]

Oh no.....I have had that happen before, purchased some OE eggs first of the year and hatched 2 boys, very pretty but not much good to me. MAybe you can find more eggs or possible a couple pullets to go with them

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Oh no.....I have had that happen before, purchased some OE eggs first of the year and hatched 2 boys, very pretty but not much good to me. MAybe you can find more eggs or possible a couple pullets to go with them

No worries! [​IMG] I have a LOAD of EEs, Marans, and Ameraucanas. Just gonna take a bit longer for OEs, so it seems! [​IMG]

9. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Thanks, I don't have Araucanas at the moment, just a single EE pullet that hasn't even yet started to lay. Back in the late 70's I had actual Araucana (rumpless & tufted) and I was thinking of looking for some hatching eggs to try for a trio. I do have a hatchery Welsummer rooster, but there is a Barnevelder breeder near me.

Thanks again,
    Deb

Hi Deb,

Here's a pic of some Barnevelder x EE eggs resulting from a fun cross that some friends tried. The brown eggs are Barnevelder's that were hatched from my flock and Johan's. They used a Barnevelder roo and crossed with some EE's. Pretty neat color.

[​IMG]

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Thanks! Those are so speckled they look like the Cadbury speckled candy eggs!

Deb

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by